Suliman

四大 and 回光反照

Hey Guys im emailing about something that im trying to find out and im posting it here because i think this equally applies to Buddhism as it could be in Buddhism or taoism because the Master patriach was a Buddhist and Taoist.

Its on fasting of the body and fasting of the eyes,which is the where my question lies

Any suggestions on what he means by Body fasting and turning the gaze within?

ive been confused about this one for a while(over 6 months) so any suggestions will help thanks.gif in advance

I have also put the chinese characters beside the text for all you guys may know Chinese to check if you would like to because i do not fully understand the menaing of the characters.

I was reading Song of Enlightenment by Hsuan Hua(buddhist) and came to a phrase that said

LET THE FOUR ELEMENTS GO. DO NOT GRASP AT THEM. We people are made from the combining of the solidity of earth, the moisture of water, the wormth of fire, and the breath of wind. We should not grasp and become attached to these characteristics or to the complications which arise from having a self.

So then i put 2 and 2 together and bean to think this is what the patriach means by the phrase

一.四大不着而身斋。

The first fast. The four elements do not grasp - then the body is purified.

He speaks about the first fast being the body, so i was confuse whether he means 4 elements 四大 or 4 limbs of the body not moving, because there are many texts in taoism that speak of the body not moving by being physical immobility while cultivating

However i am inclined to believe that he accords with Buddhism in this one because of the fact that his language is often similar to Hsuan Huas but i could be wrong because the Text was written in the 1700's

Before i was reading "Hsuan Hua's" song of enlightenment i had been puzzled of the meaning of the body fasting in this context.

Here is an exerpt of the text below for your interest

A Patriarch is talking to his student and there is a dialogue and the student asks "i beg of you to explain how i can cultivate" and he Patriarch responds

一.四大不着而身斋。

The first fast. The four elements do not grasp - then the body is purified. ------(alternative translation is...the four extremes(of the body) do not move.

二.诸虑具息而意斋。

The second fast. All thought devices rest(stop) - then the intellect is purified.

三.回光反照而眼斋。

The third fast. The light is turned back - then the eyes are purified.

四.声音不入而耳斋。

The fourth fast. The sounds do not enter - then the ears are purified.

五.香臭不到而鼻斋。

The fifth fast. The perfume and the stink does not reach - then the

nose is purified.

六.是非不动而舌斋。

The sixth fast. By the truth or the falsity being not moved - then the

tongue is purified.

六斋已毕,复进而请曰:弟子斋矣。敢问其道?

After bringing to fruition the six fasts, the student has returned and

asked: the student is purified now. Dare I ask about this Dao?

Im also posting this in other discussions as its important i know the character meaning in chinese an also understand what is the meaning of these fasts

Any help appreciated

Edited by Suliman

一.四大不着而身斋。

二.诸虑具息而意斋。

三.回光反照而眼斋。

四.声音不入而耳斋。

五.香臭不到而鼻斋。

六.是非不动而舌斋。

Actually there are six fasting conditions.

一.身斋: body fasting。

二.意斋: mind fasting。

三.眼斋: eye fasting。

四.耳斋: ear fasting。

五.鼻斋: nose fasting。

六.舌斋: tongue fasting。

一.四大不着而身斋。

The body fasting has the meet the four principal rules. The four principal rules are:

1. Do not expect something in return as reward.

2. Self- respect.

3. Be tolerable.

4. Be responsible.

二.诸虑具息而意斋。

Put all the worries to rest is considered to be the mind fasting.

三.回光反照而眼斋。

Self-awareness(谓自我省察) with a clear vision is considered to be the eye fasting.

四.声音不入而耳斋。

Not hearing the licentious sounds is considered to be the ear fasting.

五.香臭不到而鼻斋。

Not smelling the luring fumes is considered to be the nose fasting.

六.是非不动而舌斋。

Not gossiping is considered to be the tongue fasting.

六斋已毕,复进而请曰:弟子斋矣。敢问其道?

After the six fasting, the student returned and asked: "I(student) had fasted, is there any more fasting other than the six, may I ask my teacher to explain it to me?"

Edited by ChiDragon

一.四大不着而身斋。

四大: The "Four Greats" in the phrase is an esoteric term which was not to be understood by most people other than the Taoists themselves. It was written and interpreted as such:

一.四大不着而身斋。

The body fasting has the meet the four principal rules. The four principal rules are:

1. Do not expect something in return as reward.

2. Self- respect.

3. Be tolerable.

4. Be responsible.

The 四大(Four Greats) are the four principal rules for the Taoists to follow as their daily cultivation practice when they are associating with people. These rules are mainly for their basic mental health to have a peace the mind(emptiness or desireless).

Edited by ChiDragon

Thanks Chi Dragon for your response and help

I see that its roots of this phrase is having peace of mind as you say

Sometimes, people tend to make simple thing more complicated.

It's simple a meditation instruction. Don't move your hands and feets. Don't worry with your mind. Look inward with your eyes physically. (Find a quiet and clean place where) you can't hear sound. And you can't smell. (put your tongue up against your mouth roof) so you don't move your tongue.

The Chinese has a penchant for mystifying things.

The Chinese has a penchant for mystifying things.

They're sure wanted to make it official, don't they.....??? :)