thelerner

Been here long enough to know better

• Concierge
  • Pip
  • 9928 posts
  • Interests:Getting Closer to Fine
    W/out going too Crazy

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

I wanted to put this into a 'ideas for saving the world' thread we had a while ago, but Off Topic isn't letting me page down. Here's a new breakthrough idea in Solar Energy production. It'll be interesting to see if it pans out for the future.

http://v3solar.com/
  • Nungali said thanks for this
Push hard to get better, become smarter, grow your devotion to the truth, fuel your commitment to beauty, refine your emotional intelligence, hone your dreams, negotiate with your shadow, cure your ignorance, shed your pettiness, heighten your drive to look for the best in people, and soften your heart. A creed from Pronoia

Where we have stopped dancing, singing, being enchanted by stories, or finding comfort in silence is where we have experience the loss of soul. Dancing, singing, storytelling, and silence are the four universal healing salves. ~ Gabrielle Roth

#2 Marblehead

Marblehead

The Wondering Taoist

• Steward+
  • Pip
  • 36572 posts
  • Interests:Short Skirts and Bikinis

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

Nice. My panels are still doing fine.

Cost and break-even data would be interesting to see for these 'cones'.
  • thelerner said thanks for this

I reserve the right to be wrong.

YIN-YANG.jpg I reserve the right to change my mind. Anarchy4.jpg

Peace & Contentment!

#3 thelerner

thelerner

• Concierge
  • Pip
  • 9928 posts
    W/out going too Crazy

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

Yeah, cost and break even data is what its all about. It could just be vapor ware. There are a lot of concept companies out there that talk a good game but are more about getting $$ from investors then changing the world.
Push hard to get better, become smarter, grow your devotion to the truth, fuel your commitment to beauty, refine your emotional intelligence, hone your dreams, negotiate with your shadow, cure your ignorance, shed your pettiness, heighten your drive to look for the best in people, and soften your heart. A creed from Pronoia

Where we have stopped dancing, singing, being enchanted by stories, or finding comfort in silence is where we have experience the loss of soul. Dancing, singing, storytelling, and silence are the four universal healing salves. ~ Gabrielle Roth

#4 Marblehead

Marblehead

The Wondering Taoist

• Steward+
  • Pip
  • 36572 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:41 AM

Yeah, cost and break even data is what its all about. It could just be vapor ware. There are a lot of concept companies out there that talk a good game but are more about getting $$ from investors then changing the world.

Yep. That is why my label still includes "Materialist". I'm not going to give someone money just so they can put gas in their Rolls. I want something in return.

There is a lot of talk about "better" PV collector/generator technology but most of what I have seen is just a scam. I will let people who have more money than they need to do the initial testing.

Peace & Contentment!

#5 Thunder_Gooch

Thunder_Gooch

Dao Bum

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 4376 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:58 AM

Posted Image
  • Aetherous said thanks for this
Previously Known As More_Pie_Guy

Posted Image

High Resolution Thunder_Gooch Avatar:

Spoiler

#6 skydog

skydog

Speaking the truth will get you banned here, always stick up for

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 3228 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

^ cool post

#7 Marblehead

Marblehead

The Wondering Taoist

• Steward+
  • Pip
  • 36572 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

Yeah, solar is not considering only PV but also solar-thermal which can be easily stored. Much could be done with solar today but industry and especially the oil industry does not want it to happen yet.

Peace & Contentment!

#8 joeblast

joeblast

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 8329 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:37 AM

Solar is best put to use in individual, home installations. Its so easy to put a setup together its not even funny, if you're DIY inclined in the least its just a little elbow grease. I just got my box of solar cells last week, I just have to figure out the exact config I'm going to use on my roof, pick up an inverter and a battery, I dont think I'll get 'em up before the winter though.

#9 GrandmasterP

GrandmasterP

"Cultivate Mindfully"

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 6591 posts
  • Interests:Self-Employed Window Cleaner
    QiGong on the beach.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:27 AM

Up to August the UK government was paying a subsidy to encourage homeowners to install solar panels. It still seems like a good deal even without the subsidy cos what electricity you don't use goes into the national grid and they pay you for generating it.
We didn't have sufficient south facing roof areas to qualify.
Chinese Health QiGong Association here...
http://jsqg.sport.org.cn/en/
More about Mindfulness here...
http://bemindful.co.uk/

" A Zen master's life is one continuous mistake."
( Dogen).

#10 GrandmasterP

GrandmasterP

"Cultivate Mindfully"

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 6591 posts
    QiGong on the beach.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:28 AM

Heat pumps are also being talked up for a new subsidy. Anyone have experience of those?
They have to dig up your back garden apparently.

( Dogen).

#11 joeblast

joeblast

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 8329 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:42 AM

over-subsidization, the perfect way to keep prices high.

#12 Marblehead

Marblehead

The Wondering Taoist

• Steward+
  • Pip
  • 36572 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:45 AM

Heat pumps are also being talked up for a new subsidy. Anyone have experience of those?
They have to dig up your back garden apparently.

As Joeblast alluded to, I had a heat pump put in a few years ago. To qualify for a tax credit I would have had to put one in that was over-priced by about $3,000. I opted for the one that was best for "me".
  • joeblast said thanks for this

Peace & Contentment!

#13 GrandmasterP

GrandmasterP

"Cultivate Mindfully"

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 6591 posts
    QiGong on the beach.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:31 AM

There's a house we looked at in North Norfolk had solar panels, heat pump, wind turbine (squeaky), huge rainwater cache etc. More or less paid its own way energy wise. Trouble was they were asking nearly 2-million pounds for it.
At our ages the time we'll have to benefit would probably not be worth the cost of installation plus Mrs GrandmasterP wouldn't let anyone near her garden with a backhoe digger.
Somethiomng I would welcome on the veg plot about now as I begin double-digging the horsemuck in.
Takes me two weeks on and off if we get teh weather. Backhoe would do it in a couple of hours probably.
Hey ho..... a man can dream.
:wacko:

( Dogen).

#14 Marblehead

Marblehead

The Wondering Taoist

• Steward+
  • Pip
  • 36572 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

Somethiomng I would welcome on the veg plot about now as I begin double-digging the horsemuck in.
Takes me two weeks on and off if we get teh weather. Backhoe would do it in a couple of hours probably.
Hey ho..... a man can dream.
:wacko:

Well, you can always save up a little money and buy a medium sized cultivator. (Actually, they are not that expensive here in the states.)

Peace & Contentment!

#15 thelerner

thelerner

• Concierge
  • Pip
  • 9928 posts
    W/out going too Crazy

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

I like the 2nd story. I've been following the inexpensive SODIS method to clean water. It could save many lives, nice to see an intelligent tweaking here.
  • US Wind Industry Adding Record Number of Turbines
    2012 has been the strongest year yet for the U.S. wind energy. The success of the federal Production Tax Credit and wind energy's increased affordability are helping drive wind turbine installations to record levels in 2012, said the American Wind Energy Association.
  • Girl, 14, is Top Young Scientist: Her Solar-Powered Bottle Cleans Water

A 14-year-old New York student was named "America's Top Young Scientist" for inventing a solar-powered water jug that changes dirty water into purified drinking water. She won $25,000 with her dynamic 5-minute presentation about the plight of a billion poor people who have no access to clean drinking water.

Edited by thelerner, 24 October 2012 - 03:27 PM.

#16 Marblehead

Marblehead

The Wondering Taoist

• Steward+
  • Pip
  • 36572 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:55 AM

I like the 2nd story.

Yes. Me too.

I worked on my Electric Honda all day yesterday. Removed unnecessary stuff and added another battery.

Did you see where the largest Litium-Ion mattery manufacturer in the US has declared Chapter 11? This company, A123, was given a grant from the government when they first formed the company and then an interest-free loan a little later.

Seems that the energy industry is still dominated by people who have no other intention than ripping off the government and the tax-payers. Sad, I think.

But my Honda is doing fine because I don't let the government touch it. Hopefully the additional battery I added to the system will give me a longer driving range (not that I need it for what I use the car for). Right now it is at 25 miles between charges. I will take it for a test run the next time I have a full sunny day so that the solar panels will be able to offer their maximum potential.

Peace & Contentment!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ideas, energy, Saving the world

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users