#17 Birch

Birch

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 5993 posts
  • Interests:Whatever works

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

I started reading that but I got worried that it would be like many other psychology books that I have read in that they speak a lot of truth but the solutions they propose don't work, so you get really well educated in how you are messed up but you are still messed up, which doesn't help in the long run as you are just spending your time focusing on being messed up rather than focusing on something you enjoy... so I stopped reading it. It's probably not like that at all but I have been scarred by reading psychology books.

Right now I am reading "Living With Joy" by Sanaya Roman, or rather Sanaya says she is channelling a being of light in a her books called Orin who provides all the wisdom contained within, which at first sounded a bit crazy to me but reading it at the moment all of the content seems true so far and not crazy at all and very useful.

The other book is "The Joy of Living" by Yongey Mingur Rinpoche which is a really good book for a someone who wants a decent clear introduction to Buddhist meditation.

Unfortunately with the kindle I download a new book every day and never finish them

I found it an enthralling read. I didn't read it as a psychology book - it's pretty critical of psychology and psychologists. I saw it as this guy (albeit with education and practice in a variety of psychotherapies) sort of stumbling across this approach 'by accident' and then repeating it enough to lay out a consistent method and formulate a theory. The stuff he's doing is very similar to stuff in qi-gong practices. Well, I saw a lot of parallels (sp?) to things I've experienced and pondered. But I guess I brought a lot of myself to the book;-)

A lot of 'psychology' is bunk IMO. It's the rearranging of the overlay, the re-conditioning of behaviour (never mind where the latter comes from) and the reiteration of 'functionality' inside specific social constraints.

---opinion :-)---
"Chi is free!"- "Don't give your chi to your practice" Both unknown, if you know where these come from, let me know!

#18 idiot_stimpy

idiot_stimpy

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2187 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

Becoming what you are - By Alan Watts

#19 Trunk

Trunk

John Dao Productions

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 4780 posts
  • Interests:bagua qigong

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:33 PM

C.G.Jung's autobiography, "Memories, Dreams, and Reflections". It's taken real work for me to relate to him in some ways, other ways a shoe-in. Good writer. The book has impact.

#20 JustARandomPanda

JustARandomPanda

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2138 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:40 PM

Babaji: The Lightening Standing Still - by Yogiraj Gurunath Siddhanath

Drive Yourself Sane: Using the Uncommon Sense of General Semantics - 3rd Ed. by Susan and Bruce Kodish

#21 suninmyeyes

suninmyeyes

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1577 posts
  • Interests:badly written English

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:22 AM

Just started Sarangel 'Riding the windhorses'. It seems interesting so far.
Its about Mongolian/Siberian shamanism, including some rituals and practises too.

#22 Jeramiah Zeitigeist

Jeramiah Zeitigeist

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Healing. Qigong, Ba Gua, Chen Taijichuan, Metta Bhavana meditation, Flying Phoenix, other weird stuff.......living with compassion, not eating animals, so Veganism, and riding a bicycle very, very fast ! And soon to be a published author too !

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:45 AM

Just started Sarangel 'Riding the windhorses'. It seems interesting so far.
Its about Mongolian/Siberian shamanism, including some rituals and practises too.

I have read that. I thought it was very good.

Also there are two kinds of men you can never trust. Those who don't drink - and those who practice the horse stance.
chi 2012

#23 zerostao

zerostao

traveling cloud

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 7696 posts
  • Interests:Nature, elixirs, trees, herbs,flowers, weeds, harmony
    Spiritual Taoism

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:33 AM

http://www.amazon.co...howViewpoints=1
nice pictures

http://www.cambridge...te_locale=en_US
nice pictures
live like an immortal
i am a brother to dragons and a companion of owls
powered by aufheben

#24 Brian

Brian

He's a very naughty boy!

• Steward+
  • Pip
  • 8571 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

Reading too many things at the same time.
<snip>

Oops

Edited by A Seeker, 19 July 2012 - 01:54 PM.

"Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow."

#25 Brian

Brian

He's a very naughty boy!

• Steward+
  • Pip
  • 8571 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

Reading too many things at the same time.
<snip>

^^^ Me, too. Four right now, maybe? Can't remember any of them at the moment... Posted Image

Maybe I'll repost later with titles and such.

Edited by A Seeker, 19 July 2012 - 01:54 PM.

• gentlewind said thanks for this
"Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow."

#26 Birch

Birch

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 5993 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

Currently dabbling in http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/1559392347

Just finished http://www.amazon.co... john lamb lash
"Chi is free!"- "Don't give your chi to your practice" Both unknown, if you know where these come from, let me know!

#27 Birch

Birch

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 5993 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

And happened across http://www.laphamsqu...y.org/magazine/ (print)

#28 konchog uma

konchog uma

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2910 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

Currently dabbling in http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/1559392347

Just finished http://www.amazon.co... john lamb lash

tsongkhapas commentary looks interesting.. i have actually never read a book on the 6 yogas of naropa even tho its a practice specific to my buddhist lineage (kagyu) mostly because my lama said you can't really get it from books and when im ready i will learn it if im meant to. its always fascinated me tho, and i know a little about tumo and phowa, but not much more about it. maybe i should read up on it hmmmm

#29 Birch

Birch

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 5993 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

tsongkhapas commentary looks interesting.. i have actually never read a book on the 6 yogas of naropa even tho its a practice specific to my buddhist lineage (kagyu) mostly because my lama said you can't really get it from books and when im ready i will learn it if im meant to. its always fascinated me tho, and i know a little about tumo and phowa, but not much more about it. maybe i should read up on it hmmmm

I don't know if you can get it from a book but if you've sort of got it then books can help you hitch up a level. IMO - of course as Spinoza said - people believe first and think afterwards (or something to that effect). I put it with the Lamb Lash book (well I didn't really, they sort of popped up together) because I think they're talking about the same thing (the clear light).

#30 konchog uma

konchog uma

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2910 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:06 AM

Indestructible Truth by Acharya Reginald A Ray, an overview of Tibetan Buddhism

108 Discourses on Awakening by Mark Griffin, pretty much what it sounds like

Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism by Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, an amazing book about how to be genuine in our spiritual practice instead of getting caught in the traps of using it to feed our sense of self.

#31 rainbowvein

rainbowvein

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 5966 posts
  • Interests:Tao and Tai Chi

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:25 AM

And happened across http://www.laphamsqu...y.org/magazine/ (print)

Hi K. :) I ran across the last issue of this too and picked it up (in print). Are you reading a specific issue?

#32 Birch

Birch

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 5993 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

Hi K. :) I ran across the last issue of this too and picked it up (in print). Are you reading a specific issue?

Magic :lol:

Also: http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/0061766216

Not that I have any card skills:-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users