thetaoiseasy

Some Beginner Cultivation Tips

thetaoiseasy: I couldn't find the post you wrote awhile back in order to quote it, but i remember you said something to the effect that having an erect spine throughout the day is the most important part of our practice. I practice hatha yoga daily so i am very sensitive to the knots we can accrue in our spine from improper posture and i realized awhile ago that posture affects our level of awareness........but man i never realized how drastically it can effect ones Chi Flow until now!!!!!

Been practicing sitting up erect wherever i go and man i can feel a constant flow of warm/cool heat moving up my spine....i have never experienced the flow of chi in such a consistent way...i am just realizing now how having a slouched posture can really effect ones cultivation...i usually just relied on my morning yoga to undo all the knots i accumulated the previous day....but never again!!!

Don't care if people think i am weird in class for sitting all the way at the front of my seat, its powerful stuff. Thanks for the tips, its definitely gonna improve my practice and energy level throughout the day.

-My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen

Yes, the spine's important. I deleted the post because I don't think those type of things are suited for this thread. But don't get too tight! : )

Don't worry. I didn't even know what you were referring to. I don't get offended easily, especially on an online forum. You should challenge and question everything I say. I'm not here to argue, I'm not teaching anyone. Just sharing some stuff. Your opinion is equally as valid as mine here. I can learn from you.

• Like 2

Hi Thetaoiseasy

I have another question, I humbly request you could shed some light on.

I am interested in art, and am also using it as a method to live in society without being ordered around in a slave like job for 50 hours a week, as I feel I am fairly sensitive. Also I like to show others some things I feel they could benefit from in a neutral way (which doesnt annoy peoples egos), granted I am no garandmaster, but I still feel there is some wisdom in me...

I am interested in Essence Painting and Visionary/symbolic/Psychadelic art, that is art that relates a message/meaning or lots of great energy. I have a friend who sells her essence paintings for a decent amount, and while I am not interested in being super rich or powerful (although to some degree these are concepts and I already am), I do want to support myself somewhat and also so I can learn somethings and set up some projects that can benefit others (I would like to think) Anyways If someone of high energy spending lots of time in cultivation makes a spontaneous painting what is the effect of their painting (their mood?) does it send energy, would it be useful to project energy onto the painting with my hand for say 20 minutes after while being in a good state. I dont want to say I have good energy as that is a bit arragant but surely it can at least be cultivated even more....Also do the energy of the paintings depend on ones current mood in time eg a painting one week might be done at a time of deep relxation, another painting may be more confused.

I would really appreciate you shedding some light on these topics..

Cheers

Sinan

With respect, I believe that I might help shed some light on this topic, If I may.

The effect of symbolism has more to do with the person percieving it than the person who has handled it, in most cases.

If, in the course of creating a work of art, the artist is experiencing something transcendent, the patterns of that realisation may, and I stress MAY be imprinted within that artwork in such a fashion that if another should meditate upon the image in the proper frame of mind they might also recieve insights.

I feel that everyone should attempt to create some form of art solely for the cultivation of their own spirit. If someone else should enjoy this art and wish to purchase it, that is good, but keep in mind that any symbolism will mean something to someone out there, even something so simple as a drop of dew falling from a leaf at the precise moment that a thought rises to conciousness.

Making a practice of capturing and selling moments of pure consiousness for profit imparts to me the sense of something dark and sinister that, although hidden, will manifest itself in time in very real, and very negative ways. If you feel compelled to paint, then paint! There is no need to create for a prospective buyer any meaning that they do not themselves percive within the painting. I hope that helps ... and post some of your art, If you would ... perhaps there is something we all can gain by contemplating it! :)

Ok, back to basics, and I yield the thread to teachers far more worthy than myself.

• Like 1

Yes you make fair points...and yeh I will post...at some point cheers...I guess I got to keep my intentions pure, it is quite easy to get into a trap of "money seeking" and fear based stuff, but guess I got to let the fear go, be with work that serves the purpose of making ends meet and who knows maybe I will learn from it/ could be ok/cool and do art for my own enjoyment, purely for my own enjoyment...cheers..

Edited by sinansencer

Hey taoiseasy, could you speak a little about dreaming & sleeping practice/awareness - perhaps what affects these?

I ask as I am looking to make more use of this sleeping time, i can become lucid occasionally but then there's the jump of maintaining it and using the plane to practice or discover things.

Appreciate your time brother :) .

Ill go with the flow maybe find work that is ok and pays my way, so I feel completely relaxed/desireless when it comes to making art and it will be purely for my own enjoyment..hmmm lol, I will go with the flow with relaxed plans but if I had to make plans and had no limitations I like the idea of creating permaculture communities, energy medicine, volunteering projects for others...hmm but wont go off too much on that atm and yeh art or music seems cool too

Thanks for your clarity shenlung

Edited by sinansencer

Thanks for your response.

Interestingly I've recently found myself to be lying comfortably with my right palm over the center/upper chest and the left palm over ldt so some correlation there.

I think i'll try to wake up earlier to practice, my lying down qigong before sleep seems to be improving this.

Eating late has also been an issue i need to work on, i can see how this would disrupt the rising energy.

Thanks again.

-Ish

I read once in the 7 Yogas of Naropa (or some book like that) that if you achieve Clear Light Dreams then its thought that you will achieve enlightenment in this lifetime. Interesting stuff.

-My 2 cents, Peace

Throat Friction. Making vibrating noise (could be silent after practice) with your lower throat in exhale and inhale through nose.

I read a few books that mentioned throat friction. I did give it some practice. It didn't seem to work for me.

A few week back, I attempted the throat friction again. I couldn't believe it's so effective. If I can make the vibration correctly, I'm automatically in the correct posture: chin down and in, erect neck and hollow chest.

I guess I had too many blockage on my throat and neck area before. The throat friction didn't work too well. The effort to make the vibrating was too distracting.

Recently my cleaned most blockages. The throat friction helped to clean the rest.

Some member here claimed that psoas was the first part to initiate inhale. I have my doubt. Th throat is the first major muscle group and chakra in the air path. The psoas was far down. And in some posture the psoas was hard to get engaged. I think throat chakra is the first part one should focus in the inhale.

• Like 1

Thanks, Friend. It was that particular book revised my interest in throat friction.

Yes. I too highly recommend Samuel Sagan's book, which contains tons of good information. I like his no nonsense approach.

I think his focus on third eye method is inline with the taoist book the Secret of Golden Flower.

Alternate nostril breathing.

Again this is well known method in yoga. I learned it a while ago, and I just wasn't sensative enough to know its effectiveness.

Recently I started doing it again. Wow! It's so effective to clam my mind to meditation state. I have to remind myself to use it every day.

I don't know the theory behind it. I couldn't find any plausible explaination online either.

I can answer for myself: They just expired.

Good advice is timeless. :)