Sign in to follow this  
Ron Goninan

ChiDragon can you help?

Hello ChiDragon,

I am really hoping that you can translate the Chinese hanzi on this object. I am hoping for a translation of this from a Martial Arts, Feng Shui or Qigong perspective. Can you help?

cranepm.jpg

Yes, certainly.

It is a Chinese idiom:

獨占鰲頭: To be in first place.

Edited by ChiDragon

A friend of mine said:

"The characters for this are 獨占鳌頭. This dictionary mentions that it is an idiom known as "Monopolize the turtle head," which is a reference to winning the imperial exams. One who wins the exam gets to ascend the stairs to the palace. I believe the "turtle head" refers to this turtle that is located at the top of the stairs of the Hall of Supreme Harmony (where the emperor's throne is located)"

This is interesting. To think that my student who picked this up at a market in China may have actually stumbled upon something linked to the Imperial examinations is exciting and intriguing!

The object appears to be made out of silver or a steel make, reasonably heavy for it's size and somewhat aged.

Love to know more about it?

獨占鳌頭. This dictionary mentions that it is an idiom known as "Monopolize the turtle head,"

It is a direction translation but a poor one for a non-native without knowing the story behind this phrase. So, does it make any sense to you...???

I had been thinking how to put my thoughts together overnight. Well, these two creatures are the good luck symbols of longevity. The turtle with a dragon head which means long live the king. Since the dragon was the highest animal in the Chinese history. Only the emperor uses it to symbolize his supreme authority. Therefore, the dragon head symbolize the head of something, number one in rank, or a trophy of championship. In competitions, everybody want to win the dragon head as a trophy of championship.

The crane standing on top of the turtle with one leg which symbolizes that "I am the only one standing high on top to get the highest honor of championship."

The final meaning behind this phrase is "to be the champion", "to be the first", or "to be number one".

Edited by ChiDragon

Translation by the meaning of the characters:

獨: Solely.

占: to seize; to be taken by will or force

鳌頭: the head of a big sea turtle.

獨占鳌頭: I'm the one to be solely taken the turtle head.

Which implies that:

I am the only champion.

Edited by ChiDragon

Let's not forget that the chinese language originates in pictograms... and what does a bird do which a land animal cannot???

1. Let's not forget that the chinese language originates in pictograms... and

2. what does a bird do which a land animal cannot???

1. Pictogram is rather primitive at this stage.

2. Huh..............???

I'm mostly ignorant to Chinese language, so I base this off the picture alone... I do not feel that the bottom creature is a turtle with a dragon head. Instead, it simply looks like a flightless dragon. The crane on top of the dragon has a set of scales On Top of its wings to signify that it has become the dragon. "One must become the dragon to avoid being eaten by the tiger." Similarly, the crane has done just that, defeating the dragon/s (highly skilled competitors) despite its very small odds of doing so, therefore it has taken on properties of a dragon while the dragon inherits the tail feathers of crane in place of its long tail. With a tail the dragon could hit the crane off, but now has no way of triumphing over the crane who stands with elegant pose over the helplessly fierce dragon.

Its the underdog story showing that even a crane can triumph over a dragon. That is just my take and to a simple minded child in ancient China who is inexperienced in such symbols, it could have that same effect on them. Perhaps there is multiple purposes to why this picture was chosen.

Edited by 1try80deny

Sign in to follow this