Edward M

Pan Gu Shen Gong

Just watched Michael Winn doing this form on Youtube, his performance seemed similar to part of Kwan Yin Magnetic Qigong from Chris Matsuo (of which I only have fragments, but I believe one part of it uses same three movements to work on sun and moon and central channels in very similar way as Pan Gu Shen Gong), interesting !

• Like 1

Winn's version could not come out on top from anyone that was taught by a teacher of Pangu Shengong

or by their correspondence course because Pangu requires an initiation energy transmission from

Master Ou, either in person, or from his trained teachers or from correspondence course. The full

benefits only can be received thru the correct teaching.

• Like 2

Thanks for the link!

I've learned and have been practicing the Pangu system for about 3 months now, everyday, multiple times a day if my schedule allows it.

I've been an internal martial artist for about 15 years, studied the major 3 (XYQ,TJQ,BGZ).  I was looking for a potent qigong system to add to my "toolbox".  After researching on TDB, I came across Pangu & saw there were teachers close by.

The main reason I wanted to check out Pangu was the "Qi Transmission" they give.  I was curious about this, and it seemed like it could give me a boost.  Despite the years of martial arts I've done, my full time work + college, along with a past full of abusing my body left me with low energy.

After learning the set and receiving the qi healing/transmission, I felt alot more alive.  I had energy, slept better, felt things I handn't felt since I was a teenager.  I decided to try the practice once per day for a month to see how I felt.

I can say I've gained alot from it.  The main thing is quality of life has improved.  Things like anger (I've had anger problems for year) are alot easier to control and don't come up as often, if at all.  My social anxiety has dwindled away, and I am more outgoing.  I also don't get run down like I used to from my busy schedule.  All of this happened without me really noticing it.  That is to say, I was not expecting anything, or looking for results.  It just kind of happened...thats the only way I can explain it.

From the positive feedback I've gained from the moving form, I learned the non moving form as well.  It seems to have it's own benefits to it, but the moving form is still the best qigong set I have learned ... as far as time, money invested and simplicity of movement.

--

Anyway, that's my experience with it.  My previous experience with Qigong has included Tai Chi QiGong, Bagua Qigong (various sets), and a comprehensive Zhan Zhuang practice I've learned from one of my sifu's.  Pangu has been my favorite and most powerful by far.

Anyways, since I've searched this forum upside down on feedback regarding this system, I thought I would throw my own hat in the ring and share to anyone who may be interested.

Peace

Fa Xin

• Like 5

Winn's version could not come out on top from anyone that was taught by a teacher of Pangu Shengong

or by their correspondence course because Pangu requires an initiation energy transmission from

Master Ou, either in person, or from his trained teachers or from correspondence course. The full

benefits only can be received thru the correct teaching.

I agree with this.  The qi transmission is a big part of the system.  It opened up alot of things for me, and I've been feeling many things since, things I hadn't felt before, even with training in IMA's.  It seemed to jump my progress considerably.  

FX

• Like 3

I should clarify one thing, as it's been gnawing at my mind for a bit.

My experience was the 3 internal styles, was very much from a scientific / martial point of view.  My shifu taught that "qi feelings were just feelings, don't focus on them, they don't matter."  My experience with IMA made me grow in alot of positive ways.  First is martial applications - I became a very good fighter.  It gave me tremendous control over my body, my mind/focus, balance and structure.  I am very light and agile from it.

But studying for years in an art and not experiencing much in terms of "energy/qi" made me seek out qigong.  Sure, I felt heat/tingling sensations during my IMA practice, but I never focused on it or felt qi from someone else.  The system I learned was extremely practical, and qi was for healing, not for fighting.  There were other things to focus our time and effort on.

I feel like Qigong (in this case Pangu) fulfilled a need I had to work directly with this energy.  Also, since my practice of Pangu and my Qi transmission, my IMA practices have taken on a whole new level of "ooo thats a cool feeling".  I started feeling things I never have before, such as which way the energy goes in certain moves.  My hands are constantly tingling now.  I feel warmth in my abdomen alot.

Yesterday I saw the new "Ghostbusters" movie.  There was a part in it that startled me and made me jump.  I noticed a rush of qi from my chest span out into my limbs.  It was quite cool.  I also notice different sensations when I am nervous, excited, or any of the other mundane emotional responses.

I believe this new outlook (or should I say INLOOK!!) is not from Pangu specifically, but rather a going "inside" during the practices.  I also believe it is from the initial qi transmission I received, which seemed to open me up to many new feelings.  From what I understand, it sends you alot of yuan qi which opens up various stagnate areas.  This combined with an awareness from the practice is a nice combination.

Lastly, I wanted to add that upon going to learn Pangu and receive said transmission, I was kind of skeptical.  I didn't know if it would work on me.  Suffice it to say, I left a believer.  "This energy stuff IS real..."  Perhaps it's unfortunate in some ways that I practiced Tai chi for many years without getting into the "qi" aspect of it, but I feel like I have grown in a natural way, and I covered my bases quite thoroughly before diving into the subtle aspect we call the energy arts.

• Like 4

Interesting topic.

Maybe some Shen Xian transmited this Shen Gong.Maybe similar to work of Xiao Yao Pai Shen Gong?

Does someone have books about this Shen Gong and like to share?Like that of Ricardo Serrano?

Ormus

Interesting topic.

Maybe some Shen Xian transmited this Shen Gong.Maybe similar to work of Xiao Yao Pai Shen Gong?

Does someone have books about this Shen Gong and like to share?Like that of Ricardo Serrano?

Ormus

I have that book ...  ^_^

• Like 1

1. Pan Gu was a mystical giant figure that 'formed' the earth or rather 'hammered' the earth into shape after the pre-creation Universe experienced the Big Bang. Yes, there was this Big Bang in this Chinese story of Genesis. And, he was not like Adam. And having done his job of getting the earth into shape, he laid down to rest (and died), and his body and fluids formed the various features of the earth, oceans, lakes, mountains, trees, wind, stars, the sun and the moon, etc.

2. The magic number '26'. Most Daoist qigong systems have a number system, some when executing the movement, some in the timing the length of the breath. In the Taiji Longevity Ruler qigong, the number of rotations is 36 with anti-clockwise on the left, and clockwise on the right. Its a different number for Baqua Roushenggong, 8 being the minimum number of stepping during the 8-Mother palm routine. I believe that the number of rotations has an influence on the length of time needed to cultivate the qi-energy within the body.

3. Some qigong systems require the 'initiation qi' from the master, some requiring the qi-master to 'open' the meridians, and yet, many others do not require any of these initiations but only require the student to listen carefully of what the master says in the oral transmission of instructions.

4. Shen Gong: Some Daoist shen gong requires the student to swallow a paper talisman (hu) to begin initiation. Some systems require recantations. The common name for this type of practise is Shen Da when the student is feeling the force within that moves his/her limbs and body...something like 'spontaneous' qigong. The student, however is not in a trance-like state, unlike temple mediums. Some other qigong systems call their practice 'shen gong' to emphasize the super-human abilities of their qigong but nothing to do with any spiritual/religious initiations.

• Like 2

Interesting topic.

Ormus

Hi Ormus,

I don't have Mr Serrano's book, but I am aware of it and hope to read it soon as well! I like how he expounds on the style.

Master Ou has 3 books entitled "The Path of Life" where he lays out his experiences and philosophy regarding Pan Gu.  I find it quite interesting!! It has a lot of unique theories and a few mind opening ideas in it.

As you know, Pan Gu (the creator of the world according to Chinese mythology) gave Master Ou this qigong, as well as other info which he lays out in his book.  

I have, since I posted, met Master Ou and attended some of his classes.   Even though there's a language barrier, I got the impression that he is a humble, happy man who just wants to help people.  I went to his seminar slightly guarded, not knowing what to expect. When I got there, it was a family affair... little kids, wives, mothers, children.  It was a small but close knit group. Master Ou is also known to cook large meals for his students.

There's one story from the seminar I would like to share with the readers.

Before going, I was told by other PGSG students that "Master Ou emits qi during his lectures/class while he talks."  I was skeptical at this.  How could one man send qi to hundreds of students WHILE being articulate and talking?  I chalked the story up to over-enthusiasm.  

So I'm sitting there, waiting for the class to begin. Sitting quietly for about 15 minutes.  As soon as he walked up to the front and started speaking, I felt a wave of Qi that hit me and did not stop until the class was over.  It was very strong at times... where I felt slightly disoriented/tunnel vision/vivid colors.  It was not imagined, it was quite palpable.

I've seen videos of the big, early 90's Chinese qigong teachers emitting qi to gymnasiums full of crying and hysterical people while they spoke.  I didn't see any of that .... everyone was sitting calmly.

That is just one example.... Whether or not you put any credit into the Pan Gu story or the channeled info ... the results have been speaking for themselves, and I was quite impressed with Master Ou himself.  I'd say if you get a chance to take one of his seminars, go for it.

Edited by Fa Xin
  • Like 3

1. Pan Gu was a mystical giant figure that 'formed' the earth or rather 'hammered' the earth into shape after the pre-creation Universe experienced the Big Bang. Yes, there was this Big Bang in this Chinese story of Genesis. And, he was not like Adam. And having done his job of getting the earth into shape, he laid down to rest (and died), and his body and fluids formed the various features of the earth, oceans, lakes, mountains, trees, wind, stars, the sun and the moon, etc.

2. The magic number '26'. Most Daoist qigong systems have a number system, some when executing the movement, some in the timing the length of the breath. In the Taiji Longevity Ruler qigong, the number of rotations is 36 with anti-clockwise on the left, and clockwise on the right. Its a different number for Baqua Roushenggong, 8 being the minimum number of stepping during the 8-Mother palm routine. I believe that the number of rotations has an influence on the length of time needed to cultivate the qi-energy within the body.

3. Some qigong systems require the 'initiation qi' from the master, some requiring the qi-master to 'open' the meridians, and yet, many others do not require any of these initiations but only require the student to listen carefully of what the master says in the oral transmission of instructions.

4. Shen Gong: Some Daoist shen gong requires the student to swallow a paper talisman (hu) to begin initiation. Some systems require recantations. The common name for this type of practise is Shen Da when the student is feeling the force within that moves his/her limbs and body...something like 'spontaneous' qigong. The student, however is not in a trance-like state, unlike temple mediums. Some other qigong systems call their practice 'shen gong' to emphasize the super-human abilities of their qigong but nothing to do with any spiritual/religious initiations.

Thank you for the info! Very interesting stuff here.

One point, if I may add: 

I think the reason that he calls it "Shen Gong", in the case of Pan Gu Shen Gong, is that there is a spiritual/moral principle attached to the system.  There is the password/maxim: "Take kindness and benevolence as basis, take frankness and friendliness to heart".  According to the system, the more you live in accordance to these universal principles, the stronger your connection with the "universal life force" will be. 

That was always my view on why it's called "Shen Gong" or "Mystical Qi gong".  It goes a step further than just the exercise, I guess.

@Fa Xin, most of the Daoist qigong systems with heavy religious over-tones require the practitioner to either chant a 'mantra', swallow a talisman or live in accordance to religious tenents with the object of connecting to the 'universal life force' or seek spiritual guidance from an immortal, a xian-ren. Personally I do not know much of this Peng Gu Shen Gong and had viewed the movements in the internet. What I saw was some typical daoist qigong movements quite similar to what I practised and nothing 'mystical'. However, I can't discount the fact that moral living is a precursor to getting spiritual guidance or advancing to converting qi to shen and you could be right about the password/maxim.

• Like 1

I've practiced Pangu Shengong (PGSG) for 9 months as my primary practice. In the past I practiced Flying Phoenix Chi Kung, SFQ, and Falun Dafa (for ~10 years).

My $.02...

Someone on this forum once described shengong practices as those that emulate or contain information related to the cultivation of someone who has "succeeded". This makes a lot of sense to me. In PGSG, the forms contain information connected to the cultivation of Pangu himself underwent as described in the Path of Life (at least this is my interpretation).

The Moving Form of PGSG is simple - circling the palms a few times while visualizing the Sun/Moon, and then stretching them out to the sides. While they are "energetic" motions--and it seems that the Michael Winn version posted online mostly focuses on that aspect--the real 'juice' comes from the combination of the motions, visualizations, the PGSG 'password', and the foundational energy transmitted by the teacher when learning the forms. At least this has been my experience. 

I don't know of any videos available online for learning the motions. If you're interested in PGSG, I'd definitely recommend learning from Master Ou or one his certified teachers (preferable), or through the correspondence course for sale online. 

However, whether you practice PGSG or not, I can very heartily recommend the Path of Life books. They present a unique and interesting creation story, whether treated as fiction or not. My sense is that there's a lot of depth to them.

You might also get a powerful healing transmission while reading them. I've only had similarly powerful transmission experiences from books or videos with the Yan Xin lectures or Li Hongzhi's materials. But the Path of Life energy feels a bit gentler and more supportive (consistent with the energetic feel of all the PGSG exercises). 

Happy to answer any questions about PGSG or chat further!

• Like 4

Thanks nyerstudent!  Always good to get the opinion of someone whose actually practiced.  Two questions here.  First, do you think there`s value in doing the Michael Winn version, or is it really just an empty shell without the password and transmission?  Second, could you talk a bit about any benefits you`ve received from your practice?  What does this practice do?

Thanks!

Edited by liminal_luke

I've practiced Pangu Shengong (PGSG) for 9 months as my primary practice. In the past I practiced Flying Phoenix Chi Kung, SFQ, and Falun Dafa (for ~10 years).

My $.02...

Someone on this forum once described shengong practices as those that emulate or contain information related to the cultivation of someone who has "succeeded". This makes a lot of sense to me. In PGSG, the forms contain information connected to the cultivation of Pangu himself underwent as described in the Path of Life (at least this is my interpretation).

The Moving Form of PGSG is simple - circling the palms a few times while visualizing the Sun/Moon, and then stretching them out to the sides. While they are "energetic" motions--and it seems that the Michael Winn version posted online mostly focuses on that aspect--the real 'juice' comes from the combination of the motions, visualizations, the PGSG 'password', and the foundational energy transmitted by the teacher when learning the forms. At least this has been my experience.

I don't know of any videos available online for learning the motions. If you're interested in PGSG, I'd definitely recommend learning from Master Ou or one his certified teachers (preferable), or through the correspondence course for sale online.

However, whether you practice PGSG or not, I can very heartily recommend the Path of Life books. They present a unique and interesting creation story, whether treated as fiction or not. My sense is that there's a lot of depth to them.

You might also get a powerful healing transmission while reading them. I've only had similarly powerful transmission experiences from books or videos with the Yan Xin lectures or Li Hongzhi's materials. But the Path of Life energy feels a bit gentler and more supportive (consistent with the energetic feel of all the PGSG exercises).

Happy to answer any questions about PGSG or chat further!

Great to see another PGSG person on here. Thank you for sharing!

Wonderful insights.

Thanks nyerstudent! Always good to get the opinion of someone whose actually practiced. Two questions here. First, do you think there`s value in doing the Michael Winn version, or is it really just an empty shell without the password and transmission? Second, could you talk a bit about any benefits you`ve received from your practice? What does this practice do?

Thanks!

Hi Luke

I wanted to throw my hat in.

I think that winn's version will probably work to some extent, but the real power of the system comes from the energy transmission you receive whenever you do the form.

We are told we can "donate" the energy before practicing the moving form - an indirect healing method. "I wish to donate the energy to xyz" and practice the form.

When I do this I notice A big difference afterward. None of the glowing, happy and calm energy I usually get.

This tells me there's more happening than just circulating your own energy in the 3 channels as Winn describes it.

This had been my experience. Maybe his version works on another level.

Fx

• Like 2

Great to meet everyone! Thanks so much for the welcome :) 

@liminal_luke, 

I haven't practiced the Winn version so I really can't / shouldn't comment.

My suspicion though is that modifying any channeled form will likely water down some of the effects. If you'd like to "dip your toes" in PGSG without taking the full course, you can purchase the book Pangu Mystical Qigong from Amazon or pangu.org (~$10) which details the Moving Form as Master Ou teaches it. That's how I started (and then sought out a teacher for the transmission aspect) and you'll definitely see benefits even practicing like that.

Re: your second question, some benefits I've seen so far include:

• General immune support and healing - PGSG is primary described as a healing system, and people have used it to successfully treat many types of (very) late stage cancers, lupus, allergies, migraines, severe burn recovery, drug addition withdrawal, insomnia, etc. I was healthy prior to learning PGSG but I feel more reinforced in a very general, from the ground-up way (though not necessarily 'purified' a la  Flying Phoenix). 
  • More balanced and calm (though without being too 'spacey' or detached) attitude 
  • Increased 'intuition' or 'listening' ability
  • More positive and balanced spiritual outlook via applying the PGSG 'password' in daily thoughts and actions + reading the Path of Life

Lastly, my favorite benefit has been a moderate ability to heal others, which I've only used on close friends and family so far. The PGSG healing skill is very simple--only requires having taken the foundational class, a knowledge of the 'password', and practice--but you can immediately send healing qi over distances or nearby. It is surprisingly effective, especially given its profound simplicity (something I can say for all the PGSG techniques).

It's been very satisfying to be able to apply qigong knowledge for the benefit of others (sounds obvious to say but I'd never really focused on this!) and can add a whole other dimension to your practice. 

Hope this helps! @Fa Xin, great to meet you -- look forward to corresponding.

• Like 6

Thanks Fa Xin and Nyerstudent!  Always great to get the perspectivie of people who know firsthand what they`re talking about.  I could use some immune system calibration and will keep it in mind if other things I`m doing don`t do the trick.

LL 

• Like 2

On 1/20/2017 at 10:33 PM, nyerstudent said:

Great to meet everyone! Thanks so much for the welcome :) 

@liminal_luke, 

I haven't practiced the Winn version so I really can't / shouldn't comment.

My suspicion though is that modifying any channeled form will likely water down some of the effects. If you'd like to "dip your toes" in PGSG without taking the full course, you can purchase the book Pangu Mystical Qigong from Amazon or pangu.org (~$10) which details the Moving Form as Master Ou teaches it. That's how I started (and then sought out a teacher for the transmission aspect) and you'll definitely see benefits even practicing like that.

Re: your second question, some benefits I've seen so far include:

• General immune support and healing - PGSG is primary described as a healing system, and people have used it to successfully treat many types of (very) late stage cancers, lupus, allergies, migraines, severe burn recovery, drug addition withdrawal, insomnia, etc. I was healthy prior to learning PGSG but I feel more reinforced in a very general, from the ground-up way (though not necessarily 'purified' a la  Flying Phoenix). 
  • More balanced and calm (though without being too 'spacey' or detached) attitude 
  • Increased 'intuition' or 'listening' ability
  • More positive and balanced spiritual outlook via applying the PGSG 'password' in daily thoughts and actions + reading the Path of Life

Lastly, my favorite benefit has been a moderate ability to heal others, which I've only used on close friends and family so far. The PGSG healing skill is very simple--only requires having taken the foundational class, a knowledge of the 'password', and practice--but you can immediately send healing qi over distances or nearby. It is surprisingly effective, especially given its profound simplicity (something I can say for all the PGSG techniques).

It's been very satisfying to be able to apply qigong knowledge for the benefit of others (sounds obvious to say but I'd never really focused on this!) and can add a whole other dimension to your practice. 

Hope this helps! @Fa Xin, great to meet you -- look forward to corresponding.

How would you compare this to SFQ levels 1-3?

• Like 1

Hey taoguy, 

PGSG and SFQ are similar in many ways:

- Both taught by very accomplished masters with whom you can receive in-person training from

- Both have a strong focus on healing (both yourself and others)

- Both emphasize developing your compassion & cultivating heart and soul

- Both are new systems that "break rules" in some ways

There are some differences:

- SFQ has more exercises and techniques (PGSG has only 3 - with 1 of them being the 'main' one)

- SFQ 1-3 can be learnt via DVDs; PGSG teaching includes energy transmissions (though you can learn most of it through correspondence)

- PGSG curriculum (if you want to go deeper) includes reading the philosophy and theory behind it 

Personally I am finding PGSG to be very, very powerful for me. I practiced SFQ 1-3 for a few months prior to discovering PGSG (and other systems before that). Can't go wrong though.

PS. I just received in-person training from Master Ou for the first time. Wowza!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, nyerstudent said:

Hey taoguy, 

PGSG and SFQ are similar in many ways:

- Both taught by very accomplished masters with whom you can receive in-person training from

- Both have a strong focus on healing (both yourself and others)

- Both emphasize developing your compassion & cultivating heart and soul

- Both are new systems that "break rules" in some ways

There are some differences:

- SFQ has more exercises and techniques (PGSG has only 3 - with 1 of them being the 'main' one)

- SFQ 1-3 can be learnt via DVDs; PGSG teaching includes energy transmissions (though you can learn most of it through correspondence)

- PGSG curriculum (if you want to go deeper) includes reading the philosophy and theory behind it 

Personally I am finding PGSG to be very, very powerful for me. I practiced SFQ 1-3 for a few months prior to discovering PGSG (and other systems before that). Can't go wrong though.

PS. I just received in-person training from Master Ou for the first time. Wowza!

I'm super interested in getting classes but I stay outside of the places that he comes to teach classes :( Sadly. Is it possible to get that transmission through practice/correspondence? 

I'm currently trying out Flying Phoenix form after having tried SFQ for a few months (really good at opening up the heart to joyfulness). I thought I could find something that was 'faster'.

Do you think it would be worth it if I were to try learning PGSG without a teacher?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, taoguy said:

I'm super interested in getting classes but I stay outside of the places that he comes to teach classes :( Sadly. Is it possible to get that transmission through practice/correspondence? 

I'm currently trying out Flying Phoenix form after having tried SFQ for a few months (really good at opening up the heart to joyfulness). I thought I could find something that was 'faster'.

Do you think it would be worth it if I were to try learning PGSG without a teacher?

Yes, definitely. That's how I learned. They offer a correspondence course where Master Ou will remotely give you the transmission; there are also many teachers scattered around who have been trained to give the transmission as well. 

My $.02: I think the most important aspect is finding a system that resonates with you and that you enjoy practicing day-to-day - and then stick with it for a good amount of time. If you've been having success with SFQ and are enjoying it, I'd encourage you to stay with it and see where it takes you! 

• Like 3

I agree - the most important thing is finding what you enjoy doing!  It won't last if practice becomes a chore.

That being said,

PGSG is a very simple practice: the  movements and visualizations are easy to learn, and it has almost no restrictions/rules... your main focus is to relax into the form.  The "energy" of the form does most of the work for you.

It would be one of the best forms to learn long distance.

Another thing worth mentioning is when you do actually learn from an in-person teacher, it is only ONE class.  After that ONE class, you've got the form down (that's how simple it is.)  

It's up to you to explore it, practice it and come to your own conclusions regarding it.

FX

Edited by Fa Xin
  • Like 3