Seth Ananda

Favourite Buddhist Books

I liked Nan Hai-Chin's Working Toward Enlightenment, To Realize Enlightenment and Tao and Longevity.

Indeed. Those first two books have gone out of print, and are now rare. They are gems, though, and contain so much interesting and advanced material. His book of conversations with Peter Senge from MIT is also very good, and covers anapana quite a bit. Even years ago on Tao Bums I posted my old anapana meditation reference, as I poured through these books looking for the details.

Indeed. Those first two books have gone out of print, and are now rare. They are gems, though, and contain so much interesting and advanced material. His book of conversations with Peter Senge from MIT is also very good, and covers anapana quite a bit. Even years ago on Tao Bums I posted my old anapana meditation reference, as I poured through these books looking for the details.

I remember your post! I copied it into my personal practice forum to preserve it. I thought your post was THAT awesome I knew I had to preserve it. I have Master Nan's convo with Peter Senge and it is likewise great. Master Nan gave some tips in it about how to do 6 Healing Sounds that I'd never seen discussed in any other sources I'd read or seen on DVDs or YouTube. :) Way cool.

I am considering saving up pennies to get a translation of Shantideva's Boddhisattva path. Thing is...there are several translations and I don't know which one is the best. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of each version? Or what they liked about the one they have (or don't and wish they'd gotten a different one)?

I am considering saving up pennies to get a translation of Shantideva's Boddhisattva path. Thing is...there are several translations and I don't know which one is the best. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of each version? Or what they liked about the one they have (or don't and wish they'd gotten a different one)?

I recommend getting this book - A Flash of Lightning in the Dark of Night: A Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life by Dalai Lama -- It's not just a translation (although the text is included) but also a commentary by one of the greatest Buddhist masters of our time.

Edited by Sunya

I recommend getting this book - A Flash of Lightning in the Dark of Night: A Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life by Dalai Lama -- It's not just a translation (although the text is included) but also a commentary by one of the greatest Buddhist masters of our time.

Thank you.

So I take it this version not only has the text itself but also has the Dalai Lama's commentary? Sweet! :)

I discovered it's been republished with a new title.

The latest version is called

For the Benefit of All Beings: A Commentary on the Way of the Bodhisattva

My recommendations according to alphabetical listing:

In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon (Teachings of the Buddha) by Bhikkhu Bodhi

I just recently was lucky enough to acquire this book. I won't have the chance to read it as I'm just getting started with Red Pine's translation of the Lankavantara Sutra. But after that I'll read through the anthology. And after THAT will be

Scripture on the Explication of Underlying Meaning

Still I think I'll hunt down one of the Nan Hai-Chin's books- Working Toward Enlightenment, To Realize Enlightenment and Tao and Longevity- SereneBlue mentioned.

If you have William Bodri's ebook "How to measure and deepen your spiritual realization" is there any useful stuff found in Working Toward Enlightenment and To Realize Enlightenment by Nan Huai-Chin?

Edited by chris d

I just recently was lucky enough to acquire this book. I won't have the chance to read it as I'm just getting started with Red Pine's translation of the Lankavantara Sutra. But after that I'll read through the anthology. And after THAT will be

Scripture on the Explication of Underlying Meaning

The Samdhinirmocana Sutra (Scripture on the Explication of Underlying Meaning) is really excellent. I can't recommend that one enough. The Numata Center version in the link above is the best translation so far.

If you have William Bodri's ebook "How to measure and deepen your spiritual realization" is there any useful stuff found in Working Toward Enlightenment and To Realize Enlightenment by Nan Huai-Chin?

Yes, these books are very different, and Working Toward Enlightenment and To Realize Enlightenment are also packed with useful information (but they definitely assume familiarity with cultivation methods and meditation). William Bodri and Nan Huai-Chin have pretty different teaching styles, and if you become familiar with the materials of one, it will help you appreciate the other. Nan Huai-Chin's teachings are steeped ancient Chinese culture, and his teaching style is very traditional and poetic. William Bodri is more modern, and has the perspective of a westerner. They are kind of from two opposite worlds, but of course the basic teachings of Zen, meditation methods, and the stages will not be radically different. It's more like two physics professors with different teaching styles.

The Other Buddhism: Amida comes west.

by Caroline Brazier

Essential reading for anyone interested in a Buddhist cultivation that actually works and does not imply aping alien cultures. A wake up call to wannabe Tibetans [who aren't actually ethnic Tibetans]. Buy this book before wasting a single penny on Buddhistic merchandise or ritual kit. It will save you a fortune.

Cool thread!

No secret that I was a Tsongkhapa nut for a while. :D

Tsongkhapa's Six Yogas of Naropa This helped me immensely re: sushumna alchemy. Some of the key pith phrases "enter, abide, dissolve" ... just priceless. Some of it (of course, this is Tibetan Buddhism) is too ornate to absorb, for me so far anyhow.

Also his Lam Rim Chen Mo (stages of the path). It's 3 hardcover books 1, 2, 3. Much of it is compiled from other classic sources of the time. Very very detailed. I haven't gotten through all three volumes yet. .. but super clear. While reading this book I started seeing colors in my inner world, thought it looked familiar, looked in my Tibetan calendar and "that's what I'm seeing!": the chakrasamvara mandala. Tapping into classics written by heavies is such a good part of the ride. Too easy to spend too much time online, not enough reading classics.

The Other Buddhism: Amida comes west.

by Caroline Brazier

Essential reading for anyone interested in a Buddhist cultivation that actually works and does not imply aping alien cultures. A wake up call to wannabe Tibetans [who aren't actually ethnic Tibetans]. Buy this book before wasting a single penny on Buddhistic merchandise or ritual kit. It will save you a fortune.

I've always been under the assumption that Pure Land Buddhism was faith/devotional based and was dependent on the culture one was brought up in.

For instance in China and Vietnam, PL is often fused with other forms of Buddhism, such as Ch'an, Hua Yen etc, as well as being a standalone tradition.

In Japan it's Jodo Shu or Jodo Shinshu which are PL only, while Kegon, Tendai and Shingon have PL practices within their tradition.

I believe that all forms of Buddhism taken up in the west are aping alien cultures because it's not been part of our history and culture. The eastern nations have up to 2500 years head start on us.

It looks like you have found something that has worked for you and would be interested to find out more.

I have an interest in Pure Land practices but have had my reservations/doubts for a while now.

I may be wrong but the premise seems to be a cop-out in this life in regard to a future life in a paradise style existence. Therefore neglecting our responsibilities here and now. Like I say I could have interpreted the whole thing the wrong way.

Would love to talk more on this though. PM me if it's more convenient.

Thanks

Not your cup of green tea then old chum.

Each to their own.

I'm not a Buddhist of any persuasion so won't take sides on Pure Land v. The World.

Pure Land's a lot cheaper cultivation money-wise than Tibetan though. Next to no kit to buy and you can do it in the comfort of your own home, no need to fork out large sums for residentials, transmissions, initiations and such money spinners.

That said some of the Tibetans wannabes (usually single men) just love buying kit.

We've a New Kadampa place not far from us (good café). The prices they charge for merchandise and courses is outrageous.

Begging the Q 'How do you know then?'

Tariki (Western Pure Land) Centre Buddhist House is five minutes away from us. They and we are pure veg. I supply them with potatoes from my allotment. We get to talking and I've sat in a time or two with 'em.

Nice people.

Why has this text got a line through it yet again?

What is that?

the fourth icon over in the second row (the s with the line through it) is strikethrough, which is text with a line through it

i don't pay a lot for my personal experience of tibetan buddhism, but i hear you that people can if they are so inclined. Its not so much a strike against tibetan buddhism as it is against western materialist culture. You find that in all the importations of other cultures spirituality.. lol daoists have to pay out the ass for dragon gate sanctuary dvds for example lol

You find money anywhere there is a lack of virtue. In my view, that is the truth and there's no way around it...but there are "gems" hidden in the piles of shit, too, so I pay in every way possible.

Edited by turtle shell

Thanks for that info on strike through. DVDs to me are a bit of a mixed blessing. A teacher who is actually there can correct there and then whereas a DVD can't but some folk can't get to classes. But all this 'super power secret cultivation' nonsense

just seems like so much marketing to shift product to me.

Thing is with QiGong a simple set stuck-to will do as much if not more than pick 'n mix amongst myriad DVDs plus it's a lot cheaper. Some folk change cultivation like changing socks and that's not good.

Sifu is coming to mean 'merchandise peddler' in some quarters.

On topic...

Dhammapada is a good read. DLs Kalachakra Initiation is tough but fabulous mandala pics all in colour.

Mate of mine went to the American one that the DL did, said he got a lot out of that cultivation-wise.

PS

Our cat was a Dragon Gate sect priest last time around.

She much prefers 'cat'.

They did have a mission in England for a few years but the [English convert] priests fell out and then the magazine folded. One old boy still soldiering on bravely with it but it never really caught on.

The Flight of the Garuda!!!

So many layers of revelation. Its a gem of a book for any dedicated Dzogchen student.

Great recommendation.

Can someone direct me to actual printed versions of the Prajna Paramita sutras? Am I correct in understanding these sutras are not the same as the Conze translations of the Perfection of Wisdom sutras?

Also his Lam Rim Chen Mo (stages of the path). It's 3 hardcover books 1, 2, 3. Much of it is compiled from other classic sources of the time. Very very detailed. I haven't gotten through all three volumes yet. .. but super clear. While reading this book I started seeing colors in my inner world, thought it looked familiar, looked in my Tibetan calendar and "that's what I'm seeing!": the chakrasamvara mandala. Tapping into classics written by heavies is such a good part of the ride. Too easy to spend too much time online, not enough reading classics.

I mean to read these some time too, but the Dalai Lama has just released a book this week about this which I might read first

"When the Dalai Lama was forced to go into exile in 1959, he could take only a few items with him. Among these cherished belongings was his copy of Tsong-kha-pa's classic text The Great Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment. This text distills all of the essential points of Tibetan Buddhism, clearly unfolding the entire Buddhist path to enlightenment.

In 2008, celebrating the long-awaited completion of the English-language translation of The Great Treatise, the Dalai Lama gave a historic six-day teaching at Lehigh University to explain the meaning of this classic text and to underscore its importance. It is the longest teaching that he has ever given to Westerners on just one text, and Westerners have never before had the opportunity to receive such a complete teaching that encompasses the totality of the Buddhist path from the Dalai Lama. From Here to Enlightenment makes the teachings from this momentous event available for a wider audience."

http://www.shambhala...o Enlightenment

Edited by Jetsun

My new favorite is Buddhahood without Meditation by Dudjom Lingpa.

I will be keeping this by my bed for a while.

Cool thread!

No secret that I was a Tsongkhapa nut for a while. :D

Tsongkhapa's Six Yogas of Naropa This helped me immensely re: sushumna alchemy. Some of the key pith phrases "enter, abide, dissolve" ... just priceless. Some of it (of course, this is Tibetan Buddhism) is too ornate to absorb, for me so far anyhow.

Do not read these books.

• Like 1

Brad Warner's books, mainly Hardcore Zen and Sit Down and Shut Up.

I like Brad's down to earth, no-bullshit style of explaining Zen Buddhism. It's a simple way, but one that works. Brad and his writing has it's flaws, but this practice and philosophy has been of the greatest importance for me.

• Like 1