manitou

"Light on the Path" by M.C.

These precepts number 20 - I forgot to mention earlier. Here's precepts 13 through 16:

13. Desire power ardently

14. Desire peace fervently.

15. Desire possession above all.

16. But those possessions must belong to the pure soul only, and be possessed therefore by all pure souls equally, and thus be the especial property of the whole only when united. Hunger for such possessions as can be held by the pure soul, that you may accumulate wealth for that united spirit of life which is your only true self. The peace you shall desire is that sacred peace which nothing can disturb, and in which the soul grows as does the holy flower upon the still lagoons. And that power which the disciple shall covet is that which shall make him appear as nothing in the eyes of men.

Ramacharaka's comment on the 13th precept is this: "Here is another example of the relative and the absolute. "Desire power ardently". And yet power, selfish power, is the greatest curse of the man who possess it. The power of the Spirit, which is "the power which the disciples shall covet," may indeed make him "appear as nothing in the eyes of men" who are striving after material power.

For it is the conscious power of which the average man knows nothing - of which he is unable to form a mental image. And he is very apt to regard as a fool the man who possesses it, or who is reaching out for it. The power which is applied to unselfish uses is incomprehensible to the average man who seeks for worldly power - and yet that worldly power, and all that it is capable of accomplishing, will crumble before the flame of time, as a sheet of tissue before the match, and will be in ashes in the twinkling of an eye, while the real power of spiritual attainment grows stronger and mightier as the ages roll by. The one is the substance - the other the shadow - and yet the world reverses their position because of its imperfect vision...."

(I'll add his commentary on precepts 14 thru 16 in a couple days.

A big fat air kiss to anyone else who wants to comment on this precept. :wub:

"...The power of the Spirit, which is "the power which the disciples shall covet," I think this word usage by the author could be misinterpreted; for Spirit does not covet it gives, such as Spirit unto Spirit. Further, the truly powerful person does not really have the power (and knows it) for then the power (and Truth) has them and uses them as its vessel or tool. (thus with no resistance - no interference - and no divided mind or will that could succumb to the "evil" of trying to claim the power as their own for use in personal designs, which btw can start out well intended and end up hellish - namely along the lines of, "the higher one climbs the further one can fall", which applies until a full enlightenment which is beyond any form of falling is attained, as you alluded to or spoke of in your last post)

Om

Edited by 3bob

"...The power of the Spirit, which is "the power which the disciples shall covet," I think this word usage by the author could be misinterpreted; for Spirit does not covet it gives, such as Spirit unto Spirit. Further, the truly powerful person does not really have the power (and knows it) for then the power (and Truth) has them and uses them as its vessel or tool. (thus with no resistance - no interference - and no divided mind or will that could succumb to the "evil" of trying to claim the power as their own for use in personal designs, which btw can start out well intended and end up hellish - namely along the lines of, "the higher one climbs the further one can fall", which applies until a full enlightenment which is beyond any form of falling is attained, as you alluded to or spoke of in your last post)

Om

I kind of agree with you here. I think Ramacharaka could have done a better job of emphasizing that desiring the power of the spirit must not be for purposes of aggrandizing personal stature; rather, just to be open to it and 'let' it come. It will, if we keep our judgments and blockages to a minimum.

Yamacharaka's comments on precept 14: "Desire Peace Fervently".

"But that peace is the peace which comes from within, and which you may enjoy even though you be in the midst of the battle of life - though you be commander-in-chief of the worldly army, or its humblest soldier (all one, at the last). This peace of the awakened and conscious soul is indeed "that sacred peace which nothing can disturb, and in which the soul grows as does the holy flower upon the still lagoons."

This peace comes only to one who has awakened to the consciousness of his real spiritual existence. this state once attained enables a man to set aside a part of his nature into which he may retire when the troubles and strife of the outer life disturb him, and which immediately surrounds him with a peace "that passeth understanding," because it is beyond the realms of the understanding of the intellect. (emphasis mine)

Such a sanctuary of the soul is a "haven of rest," for the troubled mind, and in which it may seek shelter from the storms which are howling without. When one becomes conscious of what he really is, and is able to see the world of illusions for what they are, he finds this place of peace...."

I kind of agree with you here. I think Ramacharaka could have done a better job of emphasizing that desiring the power of the spirit must not be for purposes of aggrandizing personal stature; rather, just to be open to it and 'let' it come. It will, if we keep our judgments and blockages to a minimum.

Agreed also. (with such as being tested)

Om

Edited by 3bob

Yamacharaka's views on Precept 15: "Desire possession above all."

"This sounds like queer teaching along spiritual lines, but read on. 'But those possessions must belong to the pure soul only, and be possessed therefore by all pure souls equally, and thus be the especial property of the whole only when united. Hunger for such possessions as can be held by the pure soul, that you may accumulate wealth for that united spirit of life which is your true self." (Emphasis mine)

"These possessions, obviously, are not materials possessions, but the possessions of the soul. And what is a soul able to possess? Knowledge only, for all else is unreal, and passeth away. Therefore let the soul desire the possession and attainment of the knowledge which it needs - the knowledge of the Spirit. And this best knowledge may be possessed by the pure soul only - the other kind of souls do not care for it.

"And the pure soul is willing to hold such possessions in common for all other souls who are able to accept a share in it, or to make use of it, and no attempt is made to claim especial property rights in such possessions, and it is recognized as the property of the "united whole."

"There can be no "corners" in spiritual knowledge, no matter how vigorously some mortals may claim to possess same - there can be no monopoly upon these possessions, for they are free as water to those who are ready and willing to receive them. Although the most valuable of all possessions, they are literally "without money and without price", and woe unto him who attempts to sell the gifts of the Spirit -- for he sells that which cannot be delivered except to those who are ready for them, and those who are ready for them have no need to buy--they simply help themselves from the feast."

Yamacharaka's views on Precept 15: "Desire possession above all."

"This sounds like queer teaching along spiritual lines, but read on. 'But those possessions must belong to the pure soul only, and be possessed therefore by all pure souls equally, and thus be the especial property of the whole only when united. Hunger for such possessions as can be held by the pure soul, that you may accumulate wealth for that united spirit of life which is your true self." (Emphasis mine)

"These possessions, obviously, are not materials possessions, but the possessions of the soul. And what is a soul able to possess? Knowledge only, for all else is unreal, and passeth away. Therefore let the soul desire the possession and attainment of the knowledge which it needs - the knowledge of the Spirit. And this best knowledge may be possessed by the pure soul only - the other kind of souls do not care for it.

"And the pure soul is willing to hold such possessions in common for all other souls who are able to accept a share in it, or to make use of it, and no attempt is made to claim especial property rights in such possessions, and it is recognized as the property of the "united whole."

"There can be no "corners" in spiritual knowledge, no matter how vigorously some mortals may claim to possess same - there can be no monopoly upon these possessions, for they are free as water to those who are ready and willing to receive them. Although the most valuable of all possessions, they are literally "without money and without price", and woe unto him who attempts to sell the gifts of the Spirit -- for he sells that which cannot be delivered except to those who are ready for them, and those who are ready for them have no need to buy--they simply help themselves from the feast."

This authors writing style is somewhat difficult... for anything put into terms of being accumulated or possessed (like property) can also be lost such as the grand heavenly realms, various prana's, knowledges, etc... for only "the soul of the soul" can not be gained or lost - It already is and forever so.

Om

Edited by 3bob

I'm seeing it from a slightly different perspective. Once the soul knowledge has been gained, it remains as a residual undercurrent which underlies everything in the enlightened person's life; their perspective is forever modified. There is no situation that cannot be seen through the eyes of love, regardless of how horrific it seems. Yes, the soul is forever, has been, will always be. It's our choice as to whether we want to get down to the true gifts by going to the effort of eliminating the undesirable traits within us and finding that which shines within.

Thank you for participating in this thread with me, 3bob. I truly appreciate it.

Edited by manitou

I'm seeing it from a slightly different perspective. Once the soul knowledge has been gained, it remains as a residual undercurrent which underlies everything in the enlightened person's life; their perspective is forever modified. There is no situation that cannot be seen through the eyes of love, regardless of how horrific it seems. Yes, the soul is forever, has been, will always be. It's our choice as to whether we want to get down to the true gifts by going to the effort of eliminating the undesirable traits within us and finding that which shines within.

Thank you for participating in this thread with me, 3bob. I truly appreciate it.

Thanks for the pleasure of this thread as a place to participate in, Manitou.

In this case - uncovered and unfolded would better define the word "gained" in my way of inpretataion; also I'd say that any undesirable traits are not exactly "within" but more like on top of or on the outside of the soul body acting like unclear, rusty, and poorly working attachments that bind us when such filters cover our eyes. (so to speak) The enlightened vision with unconditioned Love that you speak of is an irresistable force that forces not, for when it sees it sees no separate other.

Nice morning to ya,

Om

Thanks for the pleasure of this thread as a place to participate in, Manitou.

In this case - uncovered and unfolded would better define the word "gained" in my way of inpretataion; also I'd say that any undesirable traits are not exactly "within" but more like on top of or on the outside of the soul body acting like unclear, rusty, and poorly working attachments that bind us when such filters cover our eyes. (so to speak) The enlightened vision with unconditioned Love that you speak of is an irresistable force that forces not, for when it sees it sees no separate other.

Nice morning to ya,

Om

Very well said. :)

It is when we get so caught up in the bundles of attachments that we become confused. We believe that we are the bundles of "unclear, rusty and poorly working attachments", rather than that which truly is..

Have a great day!

:)

Nice morning to ya,

Om

I vote for 'uncovered and unfolded' too. That is actually the dynamic, not an outward 'gaining' momentum. Better choice of words. Same with the undesirable traits. They are piled atop the original human being due to conditioning and this plate of spaghetti must be straightened out before vision occurs.

I vote for 'uncovered and unfolded' too. That is actually the dynamic, not an outward 'gaining' momentum. Better choice of words. Same with the undesirable traits. They are piled atop the original human being due to conditioning and this plate of spaghetti must be straightened out before vision occurs.

Or is the "original human being" concept also part of the bundle of attachments?

Very well said. :)

It is when we get so caught up in the bundles of attachments that we become confused. We believe that we are the bundles of "unclear, rusty and poorly working attachments", rather than that which truly is..

Have a great day!

Thanks Jeff, well said by you also. :)

That's a 10/4 back to ya.

Or is the "original human being" concept also part of the bundle of attachments?

The original human being, as I see it, is the skinwalker version of the I Am. It would be the undefiled human soul at birth prior to learned behavior. Before even learning to smile.

More on the "Light on the Path" book:

17. Seek out the way.

18. Seek the way by retreating within.

19. Seek the way advancing boldly without.

Ramacharaka's first paragraph on commenting on Precept 17, is as follows:

"Seek Out the Way." Seek it not by strenuous endeavor, but by opening up yourself to the promptings of the Spirit - by recognizing the hunger of the soul for spiritual bread - the thirst for the draught from the spring of life.

"Draw knowledge by the Law of Attraction. It will come to you in obedience to that law. It is yours for the asking, and nothing can keep it from you, or you from it.

"As Emerson says: 'The things that are for thee, gravitate to thee. Oh, believe, as thou livest, that every sound that is spoken over the round world which thou oughtest to hear, will vibrate on thine ear. Every proverb, every book, every by-word that belongs to thee for aid or comfort, whall surely come home through open or winding passages."

Edited by manitou

Ramacharaka's comments on #18:

"Seek the way by retreating within."

'We have just spoken of this trust in the Something Within. This precept emphasizes this phase of occult teaching. Learn to retreat within the Silence, and listen to the voice of your soul - it will tell you many great things. In the Silence the Spiritual Mind will unfold and pass on to your consciousness bits of the great truths which lie buried within its recesses. It will pass on to the Intellect certain fragments of truth from its own great storehouse, and the Intellect will afterwards accept them, and reason from the premises thus obtained.

'Intellect is cold - Spiritual Mind is warm and alive with high feeling. The Spiritual Mind is the source of much that is called "inspiration." Poets, painters, sculptors, writers, preachers, orators, and others have received this inspiration in all times, and do so today.

'This is the source from which the seer obtains his vision - the prophet his foresight. By development of his Spiritual Consciousness, Man may bring himself into a high relationship and contact with this higher part of his nature, and may thus become possessed of a knowledge of which the Intellect has not dared to dream.

'When we learn to trust the Spirit, it responds by sending us more frequent flashes of illumination and enlightenment. As one unfolds in Spiritual Consciousness, he relies more upon the Inner Voice, and is more readily able to distinguishy it from the impulses from the lower planes of the mind. He learns to follow the guidance of the spirit, and to allow it to lend him a helping hand.

'To be "led by the Spirit" is a living and real fact in the lives of all who have reached a certain stage of spiritual development.'

I'd like to comment on my own personal experience of being led by the spirit.

Prior to my understanding of this, I was 'led by Barbara'. This never seemed to work out too well. Particularly prior to my alcoholic breakdown and subsequent having to do the inner work to get sober, thru the 12 steps.

All things do come to us, if we merely await the moment. We truly begin to realize that all things are as they should be at this point in time; that the best changes are made when the dynamics of a situation are allowed to mature and be 'seen'.

It is by doing the inner work that the vision is developed. It has happened to me. It is a sort of triangulation that happens, enabling me to 'see' situations and souls. I get the impression that the place of 'seeing' is over my right shoulder and behind me a bit; but the result is a series of 'imagined?' triangles and geometric shapes, which I perceive as a neon green in color; but somehow the corners of these shapes pick up bits of information in their angles and tie the whole situation into a viewable form. I haven't a clue how it happens, it just does.

And when there is a whole lot of inner work done and we get down to our essence, we tap into a channel of sorts. When discussions are getting very heady and hard for me to follow, this thing inside me 'zooms out' so I can see the the outward form of the discussion and understand it from that POV. Sometimes the Voice will kick in - not a change in my actual voice, but words that I had no intention of saying.

This does happen to me a lot, and the channel will sometimes say surprising things to even people I don't know (always in kindness). I don't think these encounters are generally for me....rather, I think the channel within me is speaking to the channel within another, whether he's aware of its existence of not. Perhaps it says exactly what the person needs to hear at the moment, I don't know.

Upwardly growing, always.

Hello, anyone who's been following this thread. I'm going to post the rest of the precepts all at once, because my husband and I will be pulling a 5th wheel from Ohio to California and I don't know how often I'll be online for a while.

Ramacharaka's comment on #19:

Seek the way by advancing boldly without.

"Be not afraid. Nothing can harm you. You are a living, eternal soul. Therefore, be bold. Look around you and see what is going on in the world - and learn lessons thereby. See the workings of the great loom of life - watch the shuttles fly - see the cloth of various texture and colors that is being produced. See it all as Life....."

"Live your own life - on your own plane of development - but scorn not those who are still on the lower planes. See Life in all its throbbing forms, and realize that you are part of it all. It is all one - and you are part of that one...."

20. Seek it not by any one road. To each temperament, there is one road which seems the most desirable. but the way is not found by devotion alone, by religious contemplation alone, by ardent progress, by self-sacrificing labor, by studious observations of life.

None alone can take the disciple more than one step onwards. All steps are necessary to make up the ladder. The vices of men become steps in the ladder, one by one, as they are surmounted.

The virtues of man are steps, indeed, necessary - not by any means to be dispensed with. Yet, though they create a fair atmosphere and a happy future, they are useless if they stand alone.

The whole nature of man must be used wisely by the one who desires to enter the way. Each man is to himself absolutely the way, the truth, and life. But he is only so when he grasps his whole individuality firmly, and, by the force of his awakened spiritual will, recognizes this individuality as not himself, but that thing which he has with pain created for his own use, and by means of which he purposes, as his growth slowly develops his intelligence, to reach to the life beyond individuality.

When he knows that for this his wonderful complex, separated life exists, then, indeed, and then only, he is upon the way.

Seek it by plunging into the mysterious and glorious depths of your own inmost being. Seek it by testing all experience, by utilizing the senses, in order to understand the growth and meaning of individuality, and the beauty and obscurity of those other divine fragments which are struggling side by side with you, and form the race to which you belong.

Seek it by study of the laws of being, the laws of nature, the laws of the supernatural; and seek it by making the profound obeisance of the soul to the dim star that burns within. Steadily, as you watch and worship, its light will grow stronger. Then you may know you have found the beginning of the way. And, when you have found the end, its light will suddenly become the infinite light."

Edited by manitou

Precept 21 (sorry, I thought it was only 20, this one snuck up on me).

Look for the flower to bloom in the silence that follows the storm; not till then. It shall grow, it will shoot up, it will make branches and leaves and form buds, while the storm continues, while the battle lasts.

But not till the whole personality of the man is dissolved and melted - not until it is held by the divine fragment which has created it, as a mere subject for grave experiment and experience - not until the whole nature has yielded, and become subject unto its higher self, can the bloom open.

Then will come a calm such as comes in a tropical country after the heavy rain, when nature works so swiftly that one may see her action. Such a calm will come to the harassed spirit. And, in the deep silence, the mysterious event will occur which will prove that the way has been found.

Call it by what name you will. It is a voice that speaks where there is none to speak, it is a messenger that comes - a messenger without form or substance - or it is the flower of the soul that has opened. It cannot be described by any metaphor. But it can be felt after, looked for, and desired, even amid the raging of the storm.

The silence may last a moment of time, or it may last a thousand years. But it will end. Yet you will carry its strength with you. Again and again the battle must be fought and won. It is only for an interval tht nature can be still.

There is one further footnote that M.C. Collins writes that deserves just a little more space. This is the concluding paragraph of the manual "Light on the Path".

NOTE: Those that ask shall have. But, though the ordinary man asks perpetually, his voice is not heard. For he asks with his mind only, and the voice of the mind is only heard on that plane on which the mind acts. Therefore, not until the first twenty-one rules are past, do I say those that ask shall have.

To read in the occult sense, is to read with the eyes of the spirit. To ask, is to feel the hunger within - the yearning of spiritual aspiration. To be able to read, means having obtained the power in a small degree of gratifying that hunger. when the disciple is ready to learn, then he is accepted, acknowledged, recognized. It must be so; for he has lit his lamp, and it cannot be hidden.

But to learn is impossible until the first great battle has been won. The mind may recognize truth, but the spirit cannot receive it. Once having passed through the storm, and attained the peace, it is then always possible to learn, even though the disciple waver, hesitate and turn aside. The voice of the silence remains within him; and though he leave the path utterly, yet one day it will resound, and render him asunder, and separate his passions from his divine possibilities. then, with pain and desperate cries from the deserted lower self, he will return.

Therefore, I say, Peace be with you. 'My peace I give unto you' can only be said by the Master to the beloved disciples who are as himself. There are some, even among those who are ignorant of the Eastern wisdom, to whom this can be said; and to whom it can daily be said with more completeness".

This concludes the discussion of "Light on the Path". Thank you for allowing me to share this with you, it's been a pleasure to re-read and type out the 21 precepts of M.C. Collins' particular Yogi philosophy. Best wishes to all.