#17 林愛偉

林愛偉

Namo Amitabha Buddha

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2010 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

I think trans must be wrong at a point.

"The Buddha said, "Sariputra, this buddha-field is always thus pure, but the Tathagata makes it appear to be spoiled by many faults, in order to bring about the maturity of the inferior impure living beings. For example, Sariputra, the gods of the Trayastrimsa heaven all take their food from a single precious vessel, yet the nectar which nourishes each one differs according to the differences of the merits each has accumulated. Just so, Sariputra, living beings born in the same buddha-field see the splendor of the virtues of the buddha-fields of the Buddhas according to their own degrees of purity." "

I would cross out everything malevolent or violent, because it is likely distorted interpretations vying for power stemming from greed.

Good change of the words. yes it may have been a translation error. The Buddha wouldn't say living beings are inferior...but it may be a comparison to the manner of state that a living being resides in given their karmic conditions.

Yet, inferior wouldn't be the best choice of wordings... lol

Thanks for the clear-up :D

Lin Ai Wei

Gui Zhen Society

149 Sawkill Avenue

Milford PA 18337

fcda02_fc62ce6f7788418eb9ffc7d15d7fe3ad.

#18 Informer

Informer

Dao Bum

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 2033 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:03 AM

I figured it must have been impure because he was talking about purity and degrees of it.

#19 林愛偉

林愛偉

Namo Amitabha Buddha

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2010 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:56 AM

I figured it must have been impure because he was talking about purity and degrees of it.

In terms of purity and impurity of mind, for the sake of speaking in relative terms, I would agree too that the Buddha may have pointed to this manner of this comparison. But not to be discriminative in terms of inferiority and superiority.

Lin Ai Wei

Gui Zhen Society

149 Sawkill Avenue

Milford PA 18337

fcda02_fc62ce6f7788418eb9ffc7d15d7fe3ad.

#20 Thunder_Gooch

Thunder_Gooch

Dao Bum

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 4376 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

Truly, I have attained nothing from total enlightenment

-Buddha

In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.

-Buddha

It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

-Buddha

Edited by More_Pie_Guy, 12 May 2012 - 09:17 AM.

• konchog uma said thanks for this
Previously Known As More_Pie_Guy

Posted Image

High Resolution Thunder_Gooch Avatar:

Spoiler

#21 styrofoamdog

styrofoamdog

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

I think trans must be wrong at a point.

"The Buddha said, "Sariputra, this buddha-field is always thus pure, but the Tathagata makes it appear to be spoiled by many faults, in order to bring about the maturity of the inferior impure living beings. For example, Sariputra, the gods of the Trayastrimsa heaven all take their food from a single precious vessel, yet the nectar which nourishes each one differs according to the differences of the merits each has accumulated. Just so, Sariputra, living beings born in the same buddha-field see the splendor of the virtues of the buddha-fields of the Buddhas according to their own degrees of purity." "

I would cross out everything malevolent or violent, because it is likely distorted interpretations vying for power stemming from greed.

The original term may be a common Sanskrit one that means something like "ordinary ignorant person." The equivalent Chinese term is fan fu (凡夫). The key component fan (凡) means "ordinary," "common," or "worldly."

#22 Informer

Informer

Dao Bum

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 2033 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

The original term may be a common Sanskrit one that means something like "ordinary ignorant person." The equivalent Chinese term is fan fu (凡夫). The key component fan (凡) means "ordinary," "common," or "worldly."

Thanks!

So then was he referring to ones perspective of reality versus actuality?

Like some who have a materialistic stance and adamantly deny anything spiritual or mystical, who put an emphasis on external objectivity, verse the seeking and finding within the subjective realm of realizations.

I think that ignorance is a proper word in this respect in just not knowing or caring of the subjective realm within.

I wonder if there is another translation of that quote?

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=1978

Thanks for the attachment!

Edited by Informer, 13 June 2012 - 04:29 PM.

#23 rex

rex

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

Not from Buddha but from one of his card carrying representatives:-

Foes are (as unlimited) as space,
They cannot possibly all be overcome;
Yet if you overcome the thought of hatred
This will be equal to overcoming all foes.

Where is the leather
With which one can cover the earth?
But (wearing) a leather sandal
Is equal to covering the earth with leather.

Shantideva

• Spotless said thanks for this

#24 Simple_Jack

Simple_Jack

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2428 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

Sensual passions are your first army.

Your second is called Discontent.

Your third is Hunger & Thirst.

Your fourth is called Craving.

Fifth is Sloth & Drowsiness.

Sixth is called Terror.

Your seventh is Uncertainty.

Hypocrisy & Stubbornness, your eighth.

Gains, Offerings, Fame, & Status wrongly gained, and whoever would praise self & disparage others.

That, Namuci, is your army, the Dark One's commando force.

A coward can't defeat it, but one having defeated it gains bliss.

Do I carry muñja grass? I spit on my life.

Death in battle would be better for me than that I, defeated, survive.

Sinking here, they don't appear, some brahmans & contemplatives.

They don't know the path by which those with good practices go.

Seeing the bannered force on all sides — the troops, Mara along with his mount — I go into battle.

May they not budge me from my spot.

That army of yours, that the world with its devas can't overcome, I will smash with discernment — as an unfired pot with a stone.

~ Padhana Sutta

Conquerors are those like me
who have reached fermentations' end.
I've conquered evil qualities,
and so, Upaka, I'm a conqueror

~ Ariyapariyesana Sutta

When this exists, that exists;
with the arising of that, this arises.
When this does not exist, that does not exist;
with the cessation of that, this ceases.
~ Bodhi Sutta

He who sees dependent origination sees the Dhamma;
he who sees the Dhamma sees dependent origination.
~ Mahahatthipadopama Sutta

Dependent origination should be known as emptiness.
~Āryāṣṭadaśasahasrika-prajñāpāramitā-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

#25 FmAm

FmAm

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:35 AM

Do not overlook negative actions merely because they are small; however small a spark may be, it can burn down a haystack as big as a mountain.

Do not overlook tiny good actions, thinking they are of no benefit; even tiny drops of water in the end will fill a huge vessel.

• rainbowvein said thanks for this

Sorry for my english.

#26 teknix

teknix

Dao Bum

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 894 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Sagan

#27 chegg

chegg

hello

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 457 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:01 PM

I just remembered a quote from the Dali-Lama I heard on TV a few years ago...

"People have misunderstood Buddhism. Buddhism is not a religion. Buddhism is a study of the mind"

There was more in his talk, but my mind cant remember it. :huh:

Edited by chegg, 27 October 2013 - 08:05 PM.

#28 chegg

chegg

hello

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 457 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:26 PM

One of my favourite quotes from the good old days....I dont think it was Buddha's but I'll give him the credit anyway...always makes me giggle.

"Before enlightenment....chop wood, carry water.  After enlightenment....chop wood, carry water."

lol. Makes you feel kinda short-changed. :P

Edited by chegg, 30 October 2013 - 10:33 PM.

#29 chegg

chegg

hello

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 457 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:32 PM

"An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind."

Edited by chegg, 06 November 2013 - 12:58 AM.

#30 chegg

chegg

hello

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 457 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:13 AM

hi chegg. How does one know if one has an evil friend?

What if one's friend is evil sometimes.

Hi cat, excellent question ! You get 5 blessings on the karmic-scale-of-good-posts ! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

The first thing I would do is ask myself "Would my life be better without this friend ?"

You could get buddhasophical and ask "What does it mean to have a friend ?   Does a 'friend' really exist or did humanity just make up the word 'friend' ? Are friends just attachments ?"

I reckon every friend will have a certain degree of insincerity, a degree of evilness. Its up to you to use your power of discernment and decide whether (i) to put up with it, (ii) try to assist that friend and point out these insincerities, or (iii) press the ejector seat button and say "bye, bye, luv" .

Edited by chegg, 19 November 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#31 shenshu

shenshu

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

hi chegg. How does one know if one has an evil friend?

What if one's friend is evil sometimes.

Hi

If a so-called friend is doing you harm, then you know you have an evil friend. One time is enough to let you know that. Then you pay attention. One time, sometimes, always makes no difference.

And this includes me as a friend: when I realize that I've harmed someone one time, several times, frequently then I know I have to pay attention. The more I pay attention, the better. I don't know much about Buddhism , but this is how I understand the quote.

#32 chegg

chegg

hello

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 457 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

"It is better to live one day ethically and reflectively than to live a hundred years immoral and unrestrained."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users