steve

The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali

Given the recent suggestion of a sub-forum for yoga and Vedanta, I thought I'd start this thread.

I've previously read the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali as translated by Sri Swami Satchidananda. Recently, a friend turned me on to a series of lectures given in 2004 by Howard Resnick (Srila Hridayananda Das Goswami Acharyadeva) on his own translations of the sutras. He does a very good job of dissecting the sutras line by line and word by word. I don't always agree with his interpretations but it's great to see the meaning of the actual Sanskrit and how he derived his translations.

If anyone wants to check it out:

http://acaryadeva-nectar.pbworks.com/w/page/1287188/The%20Yoga%20Sutras

If anyone wants to discuss either these lectures or the sutras here, please join me.

• Like 2

I would welcome a section by section discussion of the sutras. i read them first when I was about 16 and they started me off on meditation.

I don't want to get into copyright issues but a quick google of pantanjali yoga sutras pdf revealed some downloads :).

I wrote a poem once which started "Oh what a pity, Citta vrrti." ... well it made me laugh.

A.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Given the recent suggestion of a sub-forum for yoga and Vedanta, I thought I'd start this thread.

I've previously read the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali as translated by Sri Swami Satchidananda. Recently, a friend turned me on to a series of lectures given in 2004 by Howard Resnick (Srila Hridayananda Das Goswami Acharyadeva) on his own translations of the sutras. He does a very good job of dissecting the sutras line by line and word by word. I don't always agree with his interpretations but it's great to see the meaning of the actual Sanskrit and how he derived his translations.

http://acaryadeva-ne...20Yoga%20Sutras

If anyone wants to discuss either these lectures or the sutras here, please join me.

that's a great idea steve!

Atha Yoga Vichara :)

http://acaryadeva-ne...20Yoga%20Sutras

This is another interesting PDF on the topic. Don't really know the author, but it's pretty academic in it's approach --

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7338362/Patanjali-YogaSutras-Sanskrit-English

Has anyone heard of or read "The Yoga of Siddha Boganathar"?

I picked up volume II, translations and discussions of his short poems about Internal Alchemy, written circa 400BC.

There is legend of him studying in China too.. o_0

How are we going to go about discussing Patanjali?

I found this translation "Yoga Sutras of Patanjali Interpretive Translation

Presented by Swami Jnaneshvara Bharati www.SwamiJ.com" ... on line - just google it.

It offers a translation followed by the Sanskrit followed by word for word translation - I think its a good starting point for going through the stanzas, here's an example:

This is a good way. May I suggest we discuss by section (so Samadhi Pada, Sadhana Pada, Vibhuti Pada and Kaivalya Pada). The reason being, each Sutra, while is profound makes more sense in context of the section. So we could approach each Sutra one by one, but perhaps having the Section available for reference would make the Sutras more meaningful?

This is a good way. May I suggest we discuss by section (so Samadhi Pada, Sadhana Pada, Vibhuti Pada and Kaivalya Pada). The reason being, each Sutra, while is profound makes more sense in context of the section. So we could approach each Sutra one by one, but perhaps having the Section available for reference would make the Sutras more meaningful?

Sounds like a good idea - I'm up for it.

I'll read the first section over the next day or two and check back ready to discuss.

I may read both my book and the online resource.

PS - I'd like to suggest that you guys think about listening to the reference I posted at the top. Give the first lecture a try and see if you think it's worthwhile. When I think about his discussion and compare it to what I've read in books and online resources, I think the lectures are pretty good

• Like 1

On 15/09/2011 at 3:21 PM, steve said:

http://acaryadeva-nectar.pbworks.com/w/page/1287188/The%20Yoga%20Sutras

Was thinking of starting a thread on such an important book when I found out that you already did steve. I really love the  minimalist straightforward style of the book never using two sentences when something can be explained in one, like the DDJ.  

• Like 2

I'm still up for some discussion but there hasn't been much enthusiasm... going on 5 years!

:)

Dwai's link is no longer valid so we'll need another resource.

• Like 1

Hi steve!

Would be very interested in participating in this thread, so thank you for trying to revive it.

I think that Swami Rama is without any doubt someone who can be called an authorithy in the matter ( not that I always agree with him :))

What do you think?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, oak said:

Hi steve!

Would be very interested in participating in this thread, so thank you for trying to revive it.

I think that Swami Rama is without any doubt someone who can be called an authorithy in the matter ( not that I always agree with him :))

What do you think?

Swami Rama is legit...haven't see his videos on this subject yet, but good resource I'm sure. Thanks for sharing :)

Edited by dwai
  • Like 1

This is a great link to start the discussion too --

http://www.swamij.com/yoga-sutras.htm

Let's start with Samadhi Pada. 

What is Yoga? 
1: Now, after previous preparation, begins yoga
2: Yoga is the mastery and integration of the activities of mind
3: Then the seer, the Self rests in its true nature
4: At other times, it is identified with subtle thoughts

• Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, dwai said:

Let's start with Samadhi Pada. 

It's a great introduction... and I have a serious difficulty in commenting most of this book as it is one of the most clear and simple books that I've found. However I'll be attentive in case some meaningful comment pops in my head.

• Like 1