Immortal4life

Tibetan Yoga meditation methods revealed

Earlier I made a thread about Tibetan Monks abilities to use meditation to generate heat in their bodies, to melt snow around them, or to dry freezing wet sheets wrapped around their body until the sheets start steaming and become totally dry. This was an impressive demonstration. However, in those videos, no actual methods used by Tibetan monks were shown or disclosed. So here is some footage I was able to find online that shows actual Tibetan Yoga and meditation methods, used by Tibetan monks.

Documentary about Tibetan Yoga Masters-

Here is a very good, detailed video, where a practice is shown that they call "Tru Khor" (spelling?). This is the only video I know of where it is shown to the public-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEFCbZwT40A

Here is a very interesting video! It claims to be Tummo meditation, and it is similar to the methods shown in the previous videos. What I am extremely interested about here however, is that it is a demonstration by a Westerner. I did not know that westerners could learn these practices, without becoming monks, or if they even could become monks-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNjiHNUMKdY

Tibetan monk explains what is happening in Tummo practice-

The Tibetan method of Relaxation-

Does anyone have any information on the westerner in the Tummo video? Or how a westerner can learn this system of Tibetan Yoga/meditation?

Unfortunately it would seem the teachings on that site are only being taught in Europe at this time...

Yoga originated in India and then spread through the world.

As things spread, they dilute. Tibet is geographicaly very close to India.

To access the more pure forms I would study India's - although the language is a barrier.

Tibet has been a copycat of India in many ways - including the system of Bramn nobility system which was the system that kept knowledge hidden and that Buddha worked to circumvent so as to expose the teachings of meditation.

The monks in Tibet are a privelidged class where they own the land and the others work as slaves.

Yoga originated in India and then spread through the world.

As things spread, they dilute. Tibet is geographicaly very close to India.

To access the more pure forms I would study India's - although the language is a barrier.

When it comes to physical yoga, the Tibetans have access to practice texts that precede anything found in India. The oldest surviving text on hatha yoga is from the 15th century. Tibetans use a text from 8th century.

Anyway, that's only the physical yoga. Tibetan yoga is much more than that and contains many practices that were passed down orally from mahasiddhas and taught to Tibetans only. And mahamudra and dzogchen are particular to Tibet

This is a complex topic, but there's certainly no "pure" yoga. Practices can be refined over the years if there is an enlightened lineage.

tummo is simply body awareness in the subnavel region plus awareness at the perineum.

while maintaining this split awareness, take a deep breath and hold it for as long as you can.

Now you are a tummo master.

Edited by alwayson

tummo is simply body awareness in the subnavel region plus awareness at the perineum.

while maintaining this split awareness, take a deep breath and hold it for as long as you can.

Where did you get this from?

When it comes to physical yoga, the Tibetans have access to practice texts that precede anything found in India. The oldest surviving text on hatha yoga is from the 15th century. Tibetans use a text from 8th century.

Anyway, that's only the physical yoga. Tibetan yoga is much more than that and contains many practices that were passed down orally from mahasiddhas and taught to Tibetans only. And mahamudra and dzogchen are particular to Tibet

This is a complex topic, but there's certainly no "pure" yoga. Practices can be refined over the years if there is an enlightened lineage.

Just a small correction, Mahamudra was also in India, while Dzogchen texts have indeed yet to be found outside of Tibetan language as far as I know (also it's origin is ascribed to Oddiyana not India).

But in any case it's most likely pointless to discuss these and related things with someone who seems to have the Chinese blindfold over their eyes.

Where did you get this from?

His own imagination.

Just now googled "tibetan monks slavery" and came across this article:

Friendly Fuedalism: The Tibet Myth

Just throwing that out there.

Parenti's article does the rounds every now and again. Michael Winn posted Parenti's article on the Healing Dao forum and also this critique:

http://forum.healingdao.com/general/message/15159

There's also this:

http://dissidentvoice.org/2008/04/a-lie-repeated-the-far-left%E2%80%99s-flawed-history-of-tibet/

And for an analysis that's still on my 'to read' list and challenges claims on both sides:

http://www.amazon.com/Authenticating-Tibet-Answers-Questions-Lilienthal/dp/0520249283/

• Like 1

Parenti's article does the rounds every now and again. Michael Winn posted Parenti's article on the Healing Dao forum and also this critique:

http://forum.healingdao.com/general/message/15159

There's also this:

http://dissidentvoice.org/2008/04/a-lie-repeated-the-far-left%E2%80%99s-flawed-history-of-tibet/

And for an analysis that's still on my 'to read' list and challenges claims on both sides:

http://www.amazon.com/Authenticating-Tibet-Answers-Questions-Lilienthal/dp/0520249283/

Thought provoking stuff, there!

Just a small correction, Mahamudra was also in India, while Dzogchen texts have indeed yet to be found outside of Tibetan language as far as I know (also it's origin is ascribed to Oddiyana not India).

Thanks. I know both Dzogchen and Mahamudra are Indic in origin, but I just meant that you won't find those practices in India since the lineages were only carried over to Tibet and stayed there. Oddiyana is now Pakistan area from what I know, maybe that's wrong.

Tibetans always remain very humble toward their Indian spiritual roots and have much respect for India. They have really preserved the practices taught to them by the great Indian masters quite well due to the monastic tradition, their great attention to detail, preservation of texts, and unbroken lineages.

Much remains secret though and you're not going to learn real tummo from a book, and the specifics vary depending on which lineage you learn it from.

Thanks. I know both Dzogchen and Mahamudra are Indic in origin, but I just meant that you won't find those practices in India since the lineages were only carried over to Tibet and stayed there. Oddiyana is now Pakistan area from what I know, maybe that's wrong.

Tibetans always remain very humble toward their Indian spiritual roots and have much respect for India. They have really preserved the practices taught to them by the great Indian masters quite well due to the monastic tradition, their great attention to detail, preservation of texts, and unbroken lineages.

Much remains secret though and you're not going to learn real tummo from a book, and the specifics vary depending on which lineage you learn it from.

There are Indic Dzogchen texts

http://www.atikosha.org/2010/11/king-of-views.html#comments

You gotta be carefull with statements like this, bro. You are going to make a lot of enemies here. People don't like simple stuff. It has to be complicated and wrapped in magical words and also expensive and inaccessible.

You gotta be carefull with statements like this, bro. You are going to make a lot of enemies here. People don't like simple stuff. It has to be complicated and wrapped in magical words and also expensive and inaccessible.

Especially, if it is higher, deeper and the subtlest of the most infinite subtleness, that can only be comprehended by a priest. :lol: :lol:

Edited by ralis

I can't make it more complicated. Tummo is that simple.

The only thing I can add is that you want to run the subnavel awaress back towards the spine.

Alwayson,

What have you achieved with your simple way of practicing "tummo"? You know that it's not just for inner warmth, right?

The devil is in the details.

Alwayson,

What have you achieved with your simple way of practicing "tummo"? You know that it's not just for inner warmth, right?

The devil is in the details.

This is not my "simple way" of practicing tummo.

This is tummo.

What have I achieved? Nothing. I don't think anyone ever has except Milarepa.

Has anyone heard of a modern tummo master?

Yet how many times have we heard of modern rainbow bodies via Dzogchen?

Edited by alwayson

What lineage teaches only that as their tummo practice?

Your supposed lineage method of tummo has gotten you nothing? Milarepa was the only master? Hmmm... Then what's the point?

Edited by Scotty

What lineage teaches only that as their tummo practice?

Your supposed lineage method of tummo has gotten you nothing? Milarepa was the only master? Hmmm... Then what's the point?

I personally don't believe in tummo. I think it is a corruption of transmission from India to Tibet, with some dubious basis in the Hevajra tantra.

But I could be wrong.

Give it a try. Maybe it works for you.

Edited by alwayson