Sign in to follow this  
Trunk

Raw Food links/books?

I would say buy as high a model as your budget and/or spouse would allow, but don't loose sleep over it. I think my $20 juicer is more than enough to get the lion's share of the benefits from this great habit.

Question re: raw diet, juicing, etc...

When I've been drinking my carrot and celery juice, the inside of my teeth have some sort of coating on them. I assumed that this is simply b/c I'm getting more sugar in my diet now but I've been brushing my teeth constantly with both toothpaste, anti-tartar mouthwash, and salt and potassium and I can't seem to get it off. I love my juicing, so I'll keep that up and I'll brush my teeth and use Max's salt tip to protect my teeth from any acidity of eating raw. Thoughts?

-The Green One

PS The posts in general discussion are really coming in fast and furious these days--that's awesome!

a nice little recharge: eat something raw and then do a tranquility drill.

When I've been drinking my carrot and celery juice, the inside of my teeth have some sort of coating on them. I assumed that this is simply b/c I'm getting more sugar in my diet now but I've been brushing my teeth constantly with both toothpaste, anti-tartar mouthwash, and salt and potassium and I can't seem to get it off. I love my juicing, so I'll keep that up and I'll brush my teeth and use Max's salt tip to protect my teeth from any acidity of eating raw. Thoughts?

AV is strong against salt. And often if you consume unpastorised milk/cream/butter it will clean the teeth or at least you sill not feel that much the need to clean them afterwords.

I use sunflower oil to clean mine, and the Pitchford formula to remineralise them.

BTW also what you get from a juicer changes a lot depending on how much you spend and how much time. The best is the greenstar. that does not work by spinning but by grinding. I have something similar.

The point is that you don't want to mix with oxygen or you oxydise the food. Like when you leave an apple cut open for half an hour. I don't use the grinding juicer. It takes too long.

So if you need to store your juicers, mix honey and use the greenstar, and maybe do it once every 3 days. But it takes ages to do the celery. I also have a couple of other juicers (ok other 4, but 2 are in Italy), and the one that I use daily is professional, spins and can take whole apples and whole juice plants. It is not good for the food but I drink it immediatly so it shouldn't be that bad.

Edited by Pietro

Beginning of plaque buildup?

I have a Green Power juicer which I hardly use. I did juice almost every day for over 15 years.

I also have a Vita Mix juicer - it's expensive - which I use every day. It's about 12 years old and going strong.

We burnt out many a regular blender before settling on the Vita Mix. We make blended salads - gaspachio- in the morning.

Romain,dandalion, celery, green pepper, cucumber, lime. After it's blended we add on top ground seaweed, tomatoes and watercress.

I opted for blending and dropped juices as I wanted the whole food.

Sometimes after eating brown rice in a restaurant I get a coating on my teeth.

I haven't used toothpaste in over 20 years. If my breath smells it means I'm sick or I have a bad stomach.

I brush with water. It is, however, very important to floss which I learned the hard way. Once every 24 hours is enough to break the plaque barrier.

To protect my teeth from the acid of oranges, lemons, grapefruits I simply rinse my mouth.

I eat 90% raw. Whenever I tried 100% i lost too much weight. So the 10% is steamed, some baking

and chinese food :lol:

Edited by mYTHmAKER

Beginning of plaque buildup?

I have a Green Power juicer which I hardly use. I did juice almost every day for over 15 years.

I also have a Vita Mix juicer - it's expensive - which I use every day. It's about 12 years old and going strong.

We burnt out many a regular blender before settling on the Vita Mix. We make blended salads - gaspachio- in the morning.

Romain,dandalion, celery, green pepper, cucumber, lime. After it's blended we add on top ground seaweed, tomatoes and watercress.

I opted for blending and dropped juices as I wanted the whole food.

Sometimes after eating brown rice in a restaurant I get a coating on my teeth.

I haven't used toothpaste in over 20 years. If my breath smells it means I'm sick or I have a bad stomach.

I brush with water. It is, however, very important to floss which I learned the hard way. Once every 24 hours is enough to break the plaque barrier.

To protect my teeth from the acid of oranges, lemons, grapefruits I simply rinse my mouth.

I eat 90% raw. Whenever I tried 100% i lost too much weight. So the 10% is steamed, some baking

and chinese food :lol:

Interesting. Have you tried sunflower oil for the teeth?

Also, are you vegetarian? When you when 100% raw did this included some raw meat at well?

Many thanks,

Pietro

MythMaker,

Great post, very inspiring!

Another vote for the blending camp.

I'm reading "Eat to Live" by Fuhrman and he says that 90% of the diet should be fruit, veggies, or beans and as raw as possible. Subtract potatos, and Americans only get 5% of their calories from plants!!! I'm probably 20-30% raw right now, and look forward to upping that.

You probably don't need to deal with supplements. If you are vegetarian, do you supplement for B12? How much protien do you get, from what sources?

-The Green One

PS. I figured it out, I need to brush my teeth right after drinking carrot juice to avoid plaque buildup.

freeform' date='May 4 2006, 05:57 AM' post='13869']

As a blending veteran, could you let us know some of the benefits you've noticed from blending?... and tips and tricks? Do you stick the skin and seeds, stalks and all that in?

As I stated we make blended salads which is a good and delicious way to eat greens.

I also blend seeds - soaked in water a few hours - sunflower seed and pumpkin seeds.

This starts the sprouting process.

Also cashews, almonds or walnuts. Blend them with oranges for a great sauce cream to put on top of fruit.

We don't use the seeds or skins of fruit.

We also blanch the almonds as the skin contains tanic acid

I used to make bannana ice cream. Skin a ripe bannana - place in baggie in freezer -

remove and blend. Don't add anything to it - creamy tastes like ice cream.

That's about all we use the blender for.

Pietro' date='May 4 2006, 06:46 AM' post='13871']

Interesting. Have you tried sunflower oil for the teeth?

Also, are you vegetarian? When you when 100% raw did this included some raw meat at well?

I no longer use any oil as it may be virgin but it's been processed :lol: Oil is too concentrated.

Why would I use oil on my teeth?

Avocados, olives. nuts contain oil.

I am a vegetarian - pretty much vegan - I will eat some cheese if I travel or maybe an egg- maybe once a year.

Edited by mYTHmAKER

Yoda' date='May 4 2006, 07:09 AM' post='13876']

I'm reading "Eat to Live" by Fuhrman and he says that 90% of the diet should be fruit, veggies, or beans and as raw as possible. Subtract potatos, and Americans only get 5% of their calories from plants!!! I'm probably 20-30% raw right now, and look forward to upping that.

You probably don't need to deal with supplements. If you are vegetarian, do you supplement for B12? How much protien do you get, from what sources?

Dr Fuhrman is my doctor. :lol:

I've been a vegetarian for 38 years - just looked it up - wow :wacko:

I hadn't taken supplements for many years.

A lot of foods are not what they used to be - depleated soil etc.

I did develop a b12 deffiency so I started taking B12 once or twice a week.

I also take Dr Fuhrmans one a day vitamins and his DHA made from seaweeds.

The amount of protean recommended by most charts and doctors is way too much.

This causes disease.I eat nuts for concentrated protean - 3-4 ounces per day.

All/ most all fruits and veggies have some protean. We have been trained to relate

specific foods to specific vitamins i.e an orange is a big vitamin c tablet.

I no longer use any oil as it may be virgin but it's been processed :lol: Oil is too concentrated.

Why would I use oil on my teeth?

You can use sunflower oil to clean your teeth from bacteria. Just take some and keep moving it in your mouth, like you were doing some washing. For 15-20 minutes. After that you will feel like something from your stomach is coming up. Like some sick air. At that point spit the oil. But the oil at that point will be full of bacteria so spit it away, not in a wash basin.

You can use sunflower oil to clean your teeth from bacteria. Just take some and keep moving it in your mouth, like you were doing some washing. For 15-20 minutes. After that you will feel like something from your stomach is coming up. Like some sick air. At that point spit the oil. But the oil at that point will be full of bacteria so spit it away, not in a wash basin.

interesting..... can you do it with other oil also? say, sesame oil? i don't like sunflower oil.

where'd you get this info from? is it a practice you regularly do?

interesting..... can you do it with other oil also? say, sesame oil? i don't like sunflower oil.

I don't know.

It was told me by a women practitioner who came in Wengen while I was there. Interestingly I have done it a few times in front of other people and more than one time other practitioners said:"oh you know that too. Yes, that is a nice trick". And no, I don't do this practice as much as I should. But essentially from when I started using unpasorized dairies I felt a much lower necessity to clean my teeth. I then found a message from AV saying that he uses unpastourized cream for his teeth.

'Yoda' date='May 4 2006, 07:09 AM' post='13876'

Check out Dr Fuhrmans web site: http://www.drfuhrman.com/

There's a lot of useful information

Yes, sesame oil can be used. Do a search on "oil pulling" and you'll find some interesting info on the practice.

-Karen

Ok, my regular cheap blender broke down- I guess it's a sign I need to get the real thing, so I ordered a new K-Tech the Total Blender on Ebay. $331.- with free shipping.

The girl that sold it is a raw foodist and here is what she had to say about blending:

"This blender will blend up the pits from Avocados. Many people are finding out in the latest raw foods books that this is the thing that many people are doing now. This pit has more soluble fiber than any plant in the world according to the book. I eat an avocado pit just about every day. I have read almost every book on the living foods diet and am very suprised that it's never mentioned. I guess that if people actually got healthy then there would be no need to sell supplements or some other stuff to get you healthy.

The K-tec is 3 peak horsepower. The lid is much easier to use-easy on easy off. There is no plunger. Instead, to get the food into the blades, the K-Tec automatically changes speed from slow to fast than back again, this pulls the food into the blades. GREAT WARRANTY: 3 years on all the parts except the blade and the coupling, on those you have a lifetime warranty. Very sturdy and durable. You only need the one container for wet and for dry, but an extra container comes in handy to put in the fridge or freezer. This is a completely different technology. It has a computer chip. There are no knobs to get tomato sauce under. Easy to just wipe down. A lot of the leading juice chains, leading coffee stores have all switched from the 2hp blender to the K-Tec. The K-Tec is fast becoming the best selling blender on the market. The machine has a read out screen that tells you how many times you have used it, how many seconds your program will run for and counts down as the time goes on. The company stands by their product; any problems are promptly corrected.

Please note that we no longer sell any 2hp blenders. We only sell the K Tec Total blender

One apple has about 385 different phytochemicals. You only utilize them when they are broken out of the cell walls.

Bitter mellon, a very in-expensive vegetable, has the highest amount of phytochemicals of any vegetable...even more than swiss chard which is 2nd.

I love muscadine grapes. Of all the grapes, these are the only ones worth eating if they are available. these are known to have the most phytochemicals of any grape. Make sure you blend its seeds!

Also.. make sure you don't juice citrus fruits.. Blend the seeds and the white part of the orange but do not juice the outer skin.. its just to hold the fruit.. not meant to be eaten. And, do not eat the skin on the avocado but make sure you eat the pit. It has the most soluable fiber of any food... even more than oatmeal. Oatmeal doesn't even come close! The pit is so bland that you won't even notice it and no.. it won't hurt your blender. Only a 3HP blender will rip that pit apart. And my favorite things to put in along with my drinks are bee pollen, vanilla bean, hemp protein, and my favorite.. cacao nibs.

Ok.. now this is going to seem strange but if you want a super dose of anti-oxidants and tired of taking anti-oxidants in pill form at the health food stores then you will want to blend the "apricot kernal". It is very hard.. and no.... it will not ruin a Total blender or the blade. I throw the entire apricot in the blender. You do not want to eat the kernal alone.. it's very bitter. I eat a seed a day (do not give children the seed).

Since it's really easy to get full on these phytochemical shakes you will want to maximize the value each time. You don't want to get full on just fillers and watery foods. Make sure you blend the stalks and not just the green part of the brocolli.. A juicer won't even do close what a blender can do with brocolli. If your body can only handle 12 or 24 ounces of shake at a time until you are full you should make sure you put the higher value foods in the blender before adding the lesser value foods. What I personally mean by lesser value are the foods with too high of volume with less phytochemicals. (Man... I am so angry at stores that tell people to buy juicers...If anyone wants to argue that juicing is better than a blender then call me.. I am up for an arguement any day of the week)

If you are going to use a 2hp blender you can still do almost the same thing as a 3hp blender can but you might notice that what you blend will get so warm that it will be steaming by the time the phytochemicals are broken out of the cell walls. On average... I have noticed that it takes about 50 seconds on level 10 to do what a 2hp blender can do in under 4 minutes. In the total blender.. It doesn't even come with a plunger. It sucks it right down and I never have to use the plunger.. Now that's 3HP blending!!!!!"

Now, now... Lets not develop any self-esteem problems because some of us have 'smaller' blenders.

You know who you are... :D

Very interesting description Max.

I was reading yesterday Howell (the guy who studied enzymes, cited by everybody). He sais that 'it seems' (remember he is a scientist) that enzymes enter through the cell wall without breaking it apart and digesting the food inside. But of course I have no 3HP experience, I am just refering.

Also it will not take digest food that the juicer discards.

I wonder what 3hp blenders are available in europe.

Ok, my regular cheap blender broke down- I guess it's a sign I need to get the real thing, so I ordered a new K-Tech the Total Blender on Ebay. $331.- with free shipping.

"This blender will blend up the pits from Avocados. Many people are finding out in the latest raw foods books that this is the thing that many people are doing now. This pit has more soluble fiber than any plant in the world according to the book. .. "

I wonder if my L'Equip R.P.M. would blend an avacado pit. I threw one away today, and thought about this issue. It was a monster pit; the idea of eating one is pretty new to me. If (any of) you eat an avacado pit, I want to hear about it! :D

--- later edit ---

btw, I'm getting so much out my blended food! I am totally sold. My energetics are smoother, I can feel channels are being opened. All really good. Only thing (as Yoda already mentioned) that sometimes I feel rev'd and I find that I need to take some breaks and eat some heavy food every once in a while. Definately my body is changing for the better, quickly, as a result of blended + often raw diet.

Edited by Trunk

I was reading yesterday Howell (the guy who studied enzymes, cited by everybody). He sais that 'it seems' (remember he is a scientist) that enzymes enter through the cell wall without breaking it apart and digesting the food inside.

Interesting. I mostly bought it so I can blend seeds from apples and other fruits when I blend the whole thing. Regular blender can't do it- too slow.

btw, I'm getting so much out my blended food! I am totally sold. My energetics are smoother, I can feel channels are being opened. All really good. Only thing (as Yoda already mentioned) that sometimes I feel rev'd and I find that I need to take some breaks and eat some heavy food every once in a while. Definately my body is changing for the better, quickly, as a result of blended + often raw diet.

Yeah, it's so true. The energy is so different now and it's much easier to meditate.

The fact that so many of us are doing it together makes the whole thing very supportive and easy to do.

Edited by Smile

Interesting. I mostly bought it so I can blend seeds from apples and other fruits when I blend the whole thing. Regular blender can't do it- too slow.

Yeah, it's so true. The energy is so different now and it's much easier to meditate.

The fact that so many of us are doing it together makes the whole thing very supportive and easy to do.

What about the difference between raw and not raw. I am already 100% raw (and feeling 100% wow) will I notice any improvement. BTW I know many people who eat also the seed of the apples.

But not of the apricot :)

I got into blending and am transitioning to raw as a result of a few posts a while back on this forum. I got my k- tec blender. I think that to do apricot seeds you should take the kernal out of the the shell then toss that into the mix.

I love the seed idea that comes from Dr Wu, but my body and taste buds prefer the phytos from dark leafy greens. Also too much avacado and too much oil can bog me down. The greens are really energizing as well. I learned of the benefists of blending dark leaves fromraw family from their book green for life. Apparantly their health after five years of raw was slipping backwards. The woman of the family did some research on greens and primate diets, chimps eat a variety of over a hundred greens in a year. and consumed mass quantities, to quote the coneheads, into their diet with great results. I am not affiliated with them, but but I do find their site very inspiring. Also, frederic pentenaude's site.

What about the difference between raw and not raw. I am already 100% raw (and feeling 100% wow) will I notice any improvement. BTW I know many people who eat also the seed of the apples.

But not of the apricot :)

You are 100% raw? Cool. I'm about 80-90% and it's only bread which I eat when I have raw eggs or make a raw vegetable soup.

Why blending? Most of the vegetables that i blend I would never eat raw, like kale or brocoli. I always eat the seeds of fruits but even if you chew on them you never get all the nutrients out and it will go right through you. I believe seeds have as much nutritional value as the rest of the fruit. The question is: does the benefit of good nutrients outweigh the bad nutrients (the ones related to sprout retardation and such)? We need some more research before we start eatting seeds without soaking them first.

Also too much avacado and too much oil can bog me down.

So true. I don't eat more then half of avocado a day and take breaks from eating any oily foods at least 2 days a week.

Also, need to cut down on salt. I don't use that much amyway and it's Celtic Sea salt but my goal to get it close to 0.

Also, need to cut down on salt. I don't use that much amyway and it's Celtic Sea salt but my goal to get it close to 0.

There are a few salt substitutes in the marketplace- One is called Nu- Salt.

They're made from potassium chloride.

Sign in to follow this