Astral_Anima

Residual Kunlun symptoms

Hey all,

I learned Kunlun awhile ago and decided to stop because I wasn't 100% on it. Since stopping however i've still been having spontaneous movement. I haven't practiced qigong in months and for some reason I still tend to shake violently almost every day. When I sit and let it go it usually lasts about 20 mins and like I said it gets VIOLENT and spasmic. It' mostly resides in my upper body. It starts in my arms and goes into my chest and it feels like it's opening my heart area.

However I just started a "fire path" practice but i'm still getting this residual kunlun effects. Is this going to cause any problems? If i were to just...shake alot and not do that actual kunlun posture would that be compatable?

thx for any insights

-Astral

Hey all,

I learned Kunlun awhile ago and decided to stop because I wasn't 100% on it. Since stopping however i've still been having spontaneous movement. I haven't practiced qigong in months and for some reason I still tend to shake violently almost every day. When I sit and let it go it usually lasts about 20 mins and like I said it gets VIOLENT and spasmic. It' mostly resides in my upper body. It starts in my arms and goes into my chest and it feels like it's opening my heart area.

However I just started a "fire path" practice but i'm still getting this residual kunlun effects. Is this going to cause any problems? If i were to just...shake alot and not do that actual kunlun posture would that be compatable?

thx for any insights

-Astral

http://www.taijiworld.com/qa/QA5.htm

Q: Dear Master Montaigue, why is it that I get violent shaking while doing my morning chi kung? I have tried to physically stop it from happening but cannot and at the end I feel slightly ill.

A: Dear Jeff, please call me Erle as I do not like titles, other than shithead etc. You should normally feel a vibration that could become slight shaking or even a rocking to and fro. However, violent shakes indicate the following. You are getting what is called "Adverse cyclic Qi". This is not good in fact, you should have stopped your qigong practice long ago especially in light of the fact that you are feeling ill! Adverse cyclic qi comes when you have your weight placed over your toes or to the front of your foot with much weight placed onto K1 (Kidney point No. 1), just between the two largest mounts on the base of your foot). We all must have "ground qi" coming into the body at all times. When this flow of life force is blocked we become ill with a much lesser communication with the ground. Hence that fact that long haul flights are not good as we have a much lesser connection with the ground!

Any tension causes qi blockages and this happens when we stand for longer periods than 3 minutes with the weight placed over K1. You are actually stopping the flow of qi from the ground into your body! When this happens, there is a build up of qi at K1 which HAS to burst out at some time otherwise you would die. So, we get a tremendous surge of qi coming up through the body causing the violent shaking which can go straight up into your brain causing extreme Yang over activity in the brain. Hence the saying that qigong can cause brain damage or mental instability. Qigong is normally quite safe when done correctly, but can have dire effects when not so.

So to answer your problem, simply place the weight onto the rear of your foot. To judge this, have someone draw a line from the crown of your head down the side of your body vertically to the ground. Where this vertical line cuts your foot, it should be the front of your leg where it joins your ankle and no further forward than that. If you weight is further forward, you are leaning. And the classics tell us that the body must be plumb and erect.

Follow-up: Dear Erle, Thank you for you reply, I have done what you suggested and I have had no more problems! I am now quite enjoying my Chi Kung practice.

That might be good insight for you.

you should have hit me up about this in a PM. i know i was really busy there for a while, but i would have gotten back to you quickly on something like this.

need more info:

how long were you practicing the form, and how long ago did you stop?

did you actually receive transmission from a kunlun facilitator, or were you just practicing from the book?

and what's this "fire path" that you're going to be training in now?

and lastly,

how's your nerves? any panic feelings or other uncontrollable emotions that seem to have come around at the same time as you started the practice?

you didn't articulate feeling sick or feeling in any way bad when this happens, is that accurate? just a 'heart opening' type of feeling?

at the moment i wouldn't worry too much about it. clearly you've unleashed something with the practice, but you're not forcing anything or trying to control it. so for the time being, at least until you share some more info, i wouldn't worry too much about it.

http://www.taijiworld.com/qa/QA5.htm

That might be good insight for you.

um, maybe. :unsure:

certainly wouldn't be my first assumption. or second.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1972398114521948531#

Go to 6:40, thats EXACTLY what goes on in me. I do the exact movements of this...i've never even studied the five animal jawns, i thought i looked retarded... I guess this is a heart opening? Maybe there IS something to kunlun after all?

not gonna lie, i'm alittle freaked out :s

Edited by Astral_Anima

IME it is just your channels clearing dude.

When i first started. The crazy movements were in my arms. Several months later moved to my torso and lower abdominal region. Then later to my legs.

At each point during all of these phases i was shaking about like a spastic monkey.

Sometime it would hurl me out of bed. I slept in the center of the room so i would stop kicking and slapping/punching the walls around me accidentally while i was asleep.

For me the shakes were incredibly violent. There was so much energy i feel i could scream and blow a mountain to rubble.

The movements were similar to those in that video link posted just above.

Lots of hand movement, jerking, shaking, powerful swings and kicks, very low vibration continuous shakes, sometimes for 10 seconds at a time.

Today it is mostly in my legs and right at my lower tan tien, but they shakes are a lot more refined and i feel energy flowing through my limbs and torso and back now; all those regions from before.

I don't think it is anything to be worried about. I have always been aware of foot weight distribution during standing exercises, so i am ruling out K1 blockage + i do a lot of sitting and my Huy Yin is by the floor.

Don't try to resist the movements! That is too much energy to try to resist. If you feel it like i felt it, you'll probably explode something if u hold it back lol - My sincerest advice is that you relax into it entirely and let it take over. It is a purification process IME.

Hey Astral_Anima,

I think it will help to focus your practice on the inner smile (as well as actually smiling). Feel that energy, and let the other feelings merge into it in the heart. This tames and transmutes the wild energy which is attempting to release.

Relax more. Doing breathing practices in the gentlest way will help.

It can also help to put your arms around a tree that you like, and kind of pretend it's your lover. Don't hump it or anything! But feel that connection and love, and rest in it.

Also, massaging your scalp is good.

Oh yeah, and spend a lot of time in nature, and make sure you're getting a lot of rest.

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 1

Hey Astral,

Maybe consult the teacher that taught you the technique.

Anyway dont worry and certanly dont be scared becouse there is a place witout fear.If you dont know how to reach it, at least keep it in your mind,even just a thought of it will navigate you towards it.

"Don't hump it or anything!"

Man you're funny :wub:

Actually, I heard stories of guys who actually did exactly that. :blink:

I'm guessing the "symptoms" are just good ole detox from the system. It's interesting to see how the various systems work it up, but they do all seem to result in some housecleaning. Cool!

with the exception of maybe Drew's quote, :rolleyes: pretty much everything everyone said here is accurate. but that's why i ask so many questions, because had drew known that you'd received transmission, his reply probably would have been different. when dealing with issues of this nature, it is best to over-share.

i posted this link 2 or 3 years ago, but i think it is what you need to go hand-in-hand with your new practice. it's a 'non-method,' a natural flow practice, and in shaolin it's called "flowing breeze, swaying willow." make time and space for your energy "detox" to complete itself. as you cleanse, you'll find that the movements are less violent & jerky, more graceful & flowing. but don't try to control it. surrender to what is arising.

you can pick up the practice and learn a little more about it from this article.

http://flowingzen.com/depressionkills.pdf

i think it's a great way of integrating the transmission without having to worry about conflict with fire methods.

so if you're looking to steer clear of the kunlun method due to your other training, this should serve you fine.

as for the other stuff, i'll PM you later.

Edited by Hundun