Sign in to follow this  
Yoda

Die breakfast, die!

I've never been a big fan of eating breakfast but over the last couple of years I succumbed to the research about school kids doing better with breakfast and started eating breakfast myself. All I have to show for it is a physique that's a notch less sexy than where it was. I've decided to blame my breakfast habit for this development. From here on out, it's fired. Rats live more vigorously and have greater longevity if they eat every other day and I think the fasting lifestyle is what I want to get back to.

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:5oK3iZ...us&ct=clnk&cd=3

It's drifting me back to a Warrior Diet type of an existence. I think getting off caffeine has enabled me to go without eating comfortably for indefinite periods. I've been off caffeine for the last couple of months and skipping breakfast seems to be the next step.

Edit: due to popular backlash, I've toned down the title line of this post from two !!s to simply one !.

You should look into what you are doing to your blood sugar levels thru the day by skipping breakfast. If you skip breakfast you are relying on lunch to raise the blood sugar. One you do finally raise it, it drops back much more quickly than if you had breakfast earlier.

qi :-)

I've never been a big fan of eating breakfast but over the last couple of years I succumbed to the research about school kids doing better with breakfast and started eating breakfast myself. All I have to show for it is a physique that's a notch less sexy than where it was. I've decided to blame my breakfast habit for this development.

What ever you want to call the first meal of the day, its still breakfast as thats when you break the fast you have been on since dinner, or you evening meal. Chinese medicine recomends breakfast as well as western. The best diet I've ever heard of for weight control is this. Eat whatever you want, just not too much. However, a more sensible diet is one that is designed to maintain a stable blood sugar level. Breakfast primes your body for the rest of the day. Done correctly you can have a great start that will keep the rest of your day in balance, and keep you from overdoing it at "lunch" or your day time meal (if you dont eat a morning meal then this would be your breakfast).

Anyhow, I've struggled for many years to formulate the perfect breakfast, and I'll share my experiences to save others the time. First, cereal, grew up on this, with bananas or strawberries, or other seasonal fruit. Good stuff, I guess, but as an adult I liked it less and less, besides cereal and milk can get expensive, and its messy (I'm pretty lazy about cleaning up). Next shakes, when through MetRx shakes, other protien shakes, all too messy and not filling enough, but they were quick, and possibly healthy. Next breakfast tacos! Tacos rule! They are cheap, filling, fast, and not messy at all, nearly the perfect breakfast, but they make you fat, and they are not healty. Next, skipping the morning meal, no bueno, I'm not a happy camper when hungry, this didnt last long. I was in Beijing for a few months about 2 years ago and got to eating German meusili with yogurt (yogourt over there is addative free and is more like thick milk), this was an excellent breakfast. Filling, relatively fast, healty, easy to clean up, and super cheap (more expensive to do this beakfast in the US.

Then I discovered the ultimate breakfast. Congee. 5 to 6 cups of water, 1/2 cup of brown rice and 1/2 a cup of other whole grains (bran, oats, etc...) in a crock pot/slow cooker overnight. Wake up, a warm breakfast is waiting, its super healthy, filling, no morning prep time, and your spleen function is great. It does take some experimentation to get it right, but once you get it nailed then you have a perfect breakfast forever. Modern crock pots have a removable ceramic bowl that can go in the fridge so you can save the rest for the next day. Then you fill it with water, let it sit all day, and rinse it out in the evening before refilling it. Crock pot $20 Brown Rice for the month $10. Cheap breakfast. But sometimes you gotta say fuck it and get the tacos anyways.

It's drifting me back to a Warrior Diet type of an existence. I think getting off caffeine has enabled me to go without eating comfortably for indefinite periods. I've been off caffeine for the last couple of months and skipping breakfast seems to be the next step.

The "Potatoes not Prozac" book that Sean likes, has a nice breakdown of how blood sugar levels affect many people and my experience has been that having a solid meal of whole grain, slow digesting food is the key to day of beneficial food consumption.

Also in Pitchfords "Healing With Whole Foods" there is a nice breakdown of what additions can be made to congee to have specific effects.

Good luck with your breakfast quest,

T

If I dont eat breakfast I feel sluggish the whole day, eat something even if its just a fruit/veggie juice

that will raise your energy levels and keep you focused throughout the day. In terms of improving your

physique just do the basics, Hindu Pushups, Hindu Squats and Crunches, work upto some decent numbers everyday in these exercise and you will be shedding fat and gainig muscle.

I've never been a big fan of eating breakfast but over the last couple of years I succumbed to the research about school kids doing better with breakfast and started eating breakfast myself.

I've heard not eating breakfast is quite bad for the gall bladder, it is supposed to be easier to get gall stones. I've got no idea if that is true though??

Allan

Great post, Cam.

Steve's workouts are very humbling to behold--the guy has a shitload of energy and he doesn't practice retention. I've studied him for years now, but can't replicate his results thus far.

It's very true what he says that there's no good link between high cholesterol diet and high cholesterol in the bloodstream. The Magnesium Factor explains why there has been so much misunderstanding on the subject: High fat diets will nail you if you are borderline Mg deficient which many modern, westernized cultures are. The fat blocks absorption of key minerals. It's the Mg deficiency that in turn leads to high cholesterol in the blood and artery damage.

Mrs Yoda ran into this problem on a low carb diet. The reason Steve doesn't have this problem is that the boy takes $500+ worth of supplements per month including his minerals.

The author of the Magnesium factor recomends upping Mg 500+mg/day for 6 months before embarking on any major dietary or exercise program to protect your energy levels and health from depleting factors.

I have started upping the vitamins and minerals myself and do not follow a low carb diet.

If your down let's try the warrior diet together for a month. We can call eachother for support if we ever feel like eating before dinner.

Mike Mahler says if you work out in the morning you can still follow the WD just have a high protien high fat(good fat) shake after your morning workout and fast for the rest of the day until dinner(Which should be a feast!).

Edited by Cameron

Then I discovered the ultimate breakfast. Congee. 5 to 6 cups of water, 1/2 cup of brown rice and 1/2 a cup of other whole grains (bran, oats, etc...) in a crock pot/slow cooker overnight. Wake up, a warm breakfast is waiting, its super healthy, filling, no morning prep time, and your spleen function is great.

I am so on this! It's funny, I moved through the same sequence as you, from cereal to shakes, then I did oatmeal and eggs for awhile, then yogurt and muesli and now I think the time for Congee has arrived. Great tip Turbo! Time to break out the crockpot. :)

Sean

i'm with yoda on the limited breakfast.

but i do think its good to have a little something.

i usually have a cup of water with oxygen supplement added. a cup of herbal tea. some days a bowl of miso soup with seaweed (this is fantastic for breakfast. light and high in water and minerals as well as a little bit of protein and also very warming).

but i personally think you can't beat fruit for breakfast (no bananas or avocados though - too heavy). it goes along with the natural cycles of the body which are a little something like this:

4am - midday: elimination cycle. the body is moving everything into elimination channels to get rid of it to make room for the new stuff.

midday - 8pm: acquisition cycle. the body needs stuff!

8pm - 4am: assimilation cycle. the body uses all the stuff it got in the acquisition cycle and puts it in all the places it's supposed to go.

fruit is great because it is digested rapidly (in about 30 minutes) entirely in the stomach, is light, high in water and vitamins and also aids in elimination/detoxification of the intestines.

i generally only eat fruit (along with my miso soup and occassionally some veggie juice) in the morning. and i find i have a lot more energy throughout the day than if i have a heavier breakfast.

i have been thinking more about fruit recently and i am coming to the idea that is the perfect food. nothing has to die in the eating of fruit. it is a trees gift, and totally natural. nothing is destroyed. with vegetables we either have to destroy the entire plant of tear some of it off that the plant was actually using for its functioning.

i think we can easily live on just fruit, but as its a mucuos free diet, you would need to be in a place with much cleaner air. living in a city we need mucuos to capture all the pollutants we breathe in and help to move them out.

fruit = love!

haha.

I am so on this! It's funny, I moved through the same sequence as you, from cereal to shakes, then I did oatmeal and eggs for awhile, then yogurt and muesli and now I think the time for Congee has arrived. Great tip Turbo! Time to break out the crockpot. :)

Sean

It took me a while to adjust to the taste when first starting to eat congee, and I found that raw honey and butter or Earth Balance natural buttery spread made it go down easier. You can also cook it with herbs to acheive medicinal effects, good stuff. Enjoy.

Sign in to follow this