Trunk

Embryonic Breathing

Actually I have both the Embryonic Breathing and the Small Circulation DVDs, both of which I've already watched and am unlikely to watch again anytime soon. As such, I should probably offer them up as Taobums Lending Library material. PM me if interested, I just ask that you return the material or pass it on to another forum member. :)

The book is good but I'm not sure I would be able to actually practice from it. It is lacking clarity on practical stuff. A good example of a clear step by step practice manual could be Qigong Empowerment by S.Y. Liang. Unfortunately can't say the same thing about EB. But theory is good.

What was it lacking clarity on? Any specific thing you're wondering?

I just read an introduction to Small Circulation and as I understood Jwing-Ming Yang wasn't taught it from a master but rather deducted himself from written sources. He did receive teaching for taiji and wild goose qigong from masters though.

Can anybody confirm I interpret his words correctly? And what about the embrionic breathing, was he taught the methods or deducted them from the books?

What was it lacking clarity on? Any specific thing you're wondering?

To me, most of his Qigong books (writing style) seems to be a little more like a collection of information than an organized 'how to'. I have five of his books and tend to refer to them in order:

1. Chi Kung: Health and Martial Arts

2. Chinese Qigong Massage

3. The Root of Chinese Qigong

4. The Essence of Tai Chi Chi Kung : Health and Martial Arts

5. Embryonic Breathing

If I could only have one, it may be The Root of Chinese Qigong as a good, broad informational book; but the first one is the smallest but I think his best if one wants more like practice material (the fourth is also good for some forms). Each has something in it I really like. The EB book has the various translations which I like.

embryonic poetry, umbilical remembrances

(in the womb, umbilical pumping)

back when

the kidneys

were the grateful heart

and

the heart

just rode along

(birth, umbilical separation)

the umbilicus

gasps, subsides

the lungs

shocked alive

• Like 2

I just read an introduction to Small Circulation and as I understood Jwing-Ming Yang wasn't taught it from a master but rather deducted himself from written sources. He did receive teaching for taiji and wild goose qigong from masters though.

Can anybody confirm I interpret his words correctly? And what about the embrionic breathing, was he taught the methods or deducted them from the books?

YJM Bio has of course changed over time. Since teaching in the States he has met and worked with different people, to what depth I don't know. When he was first over he was apparently very open and honest in saying his intentions were to start a book business publishing qigong and martial arts books. And he has done very well.

His actual qigong background when he moved was very poor according to his own bio. I know of few Chinese martial artists that are respected that think much of what he does, same goes for qigong. He reads a lot, translates a lot, and researches a lot. I know many Westerners who love his books. I think his engineering Phd has helped him hit the right formula for what people want to read.

Best,

P.S. Not looking to get into it with his fans. I know plenty on this board like his work, I'm just not one of them. I have read quite a few of his books, and I'm well versed in his work and his background, both from his publications and from old students of his. If you find value, great, i'm glad it's helped you.

Edited by snowmonki