• Please log in to reply
4048 replies to this topic

#4033 tao stillness

tao stillness

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 492 posts
  • Interests:Tai Chi Hunyuan Zhuang Qigong known as Longevity Qigong from the Purple Cloud Temple of Wudang Mountain.
    Golden Ball Qigong (2 minute routine by Scott Cole).
    Easy Tai Chi for Beginners and Seniors by Don Fiore.
    Rainbow Sun Qigong by Ellie Drew.
    Flying Phoenix Chi Kung.

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:18 AM

I would just comment on a few things about distinguishing Oneness from Flying Phoenix since Sifu Terry was not sure how accurate his understanding of Oneness is. Oneness of Sri Bhagavan is not derived from any previous lineage since this is a totally new energy that has never been offered on this planet before. Some of the deepening courses use some Bhakti things like dancing to get the kundalini moving but this Oneness is not part of the Bhakti tradition. It does not require any devotion or even belief. It is mainly a neurophysiological process that occurs spontaneously from energy of a deeksha giver making physical rewiring of another person's brain to support kundalini reaching and then remaining in the brain. That opens the higher functioning centers and quiets the endless chattering of those thoughts which are responsible for the ego, self-image. The result is that you stop reacting to current life situations unconsciously thru past social conditioning and previous experiences. Instead, you perceive life in the here and now. Negative feelings and bad happenings no longer stick with you. We do not meditate as such in Oneness. We have Oneness Meditations where a Oneness Meditator is sending out energy and the receiving person is merely sitting with eyes closed. So there is really nothing to do in that type of meditation. You either feel something or you don't. So by this description you can see many differences between Flying Phoenix and Oneness.

Edited by tao stillness, 02 February 2017 - 09:40 AM.

#4034 tao stillness

tao stillness

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 492 posts
  • Interests:Tai Chi Hunyuan Zhuang Qigong known as Longevity Qigong from the Purple Cloud Temple of Wudang Mountain.
    Flying Phoenix Chi Kung.

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:34 AM

I also want to comment on Sifu Terry's reminder of the legend of how Flying Phoenix Chi Kung might have been passed on to the famous monk by a deity. I have mentioned this before but it bears repeating.
When I read about that legend some years ago I thought of it as just that, legend since China is full of folklore like that and there is no way to document historical events or legends of that nature. However, as I have related previously, last year after giving my wife her first Oneness Blessing/deeksha, she had inner perceptions of a woman dressed in Chinese ancient dress demonstrating these unique movements as if she wanted my wife to start performing them. At that point my wife had never seen anyone perform chi kung so she did not have a name for these movements that she then demonstrated for me. I could not believe what I was seeing as they were definitely chi kung postures. I could see that some of them were especially working on the liver meridian and later we found out from Eric Isen that my wife has a very toxic liver due to years of taking Western medications. Also later when my wife described perceiving that Chinese woman in her mind's eye to Eric, he told her that it was actually a deity called White Tara and that this experience was so far beyond just something having to do with Tibetan Buddhism. It was then that I decided that the monk on Emei Shan being taught Flying Phoenix by a deity was not a legend, but a historical fact. I have since then met a few chi kung teachers whose methods were channeled. And I recall reading in the Falun Gong book that Master Li claims that chi kung did not originate on this planet at all. To paraphrase, "Horatio, there is more to life than meets the eyes." I think that can also be said of Flying Phoenix Chi Kung.

Edited by tao stillness, 02 February 2017 - 09:37 AM.

• zen-bear, cihan, Frederic and 1 other said thanks

#4035 johndoe2012

johndoe2012

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1122 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:00 AM

I also want to comment on Sifu Terry's reminder of the legend of how Flying Phoenix Chi Kung might have been passed on to the famous monk by a deity. I have mentioned this before but it bears repeating.
When I read about that legend some years ago I thought of it as just that, legend since China is full of folklore like that and there is no way to document historical events or legends of that nature. However, as I have related previously, last year after giving my wife her first Oneness Blessing/deeksha, she had inner perceptions of a woman dressed in Chinese ancient dress demonstrating these unique movements as if she wanted my wife to start performing them. At that point my wife had never seen anyone perform chi kung so she did not have a name for these movements that she then demonstrated for me. I could not believe what I was seeing as they were definitely chi kung postures. I could see that some of them were especially working on the liver meridian and later we found out from Eric Isen that my wife has a very toxic liver due to years of taking Western medications. Also later when my wife described perceiving that Chinese woman in her mind's eye to Eric, he told her that it was actually a deity called White Tara and that this experience was so far beyond just something having to do with Tibetan Buddhism. It was then that I decided that the monk on Emei Shan being taught Flying Phoenix by a deity was not a legend, but a historical fact. I have since then met a few chi kung teachers whose methods were channeled. And I recall reading in the Falun Gong book that Master Li claims that chi kung did not originate on this planet at all. To paraphrase, "Horatio, there is more to life than meets the eyes." I think that can also be said of Flying Phoenix Chi Kung.

You can communicate with the deity that imparted FP Chi Kung.

I did and got some interesting facts. Like whether we could just channel FP energy like Reiki but the answer was that it had to be cultivated through physical movements - at least that is how I understood it.
  • zen-bear said thanks for this

#4036 cihan

cihan

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:18 PM

Hi, been a while since i was on this thread i see i have allot to read up on.
Has anyone got any adive on improving flexibility for lotus postion, mine i so much better than when i started but still meditation 2 and especially 3 of dvd 7 gives me a dead left leg and sometimes pain at the top of my right.
Frustrating because the energy feels so good by the time i have done so many repetitions, i must be making weird facial expressions due to the mix of pleasure and pain.

I gave up even trying any form of lotus long ago :-) Sure it looks cool and might give you some extra confidance boost, but.
GMDW sits on a chair while teaching and demonstrating other sitting moving meds on DVDs and for some exercises advises only crossing the legs while sitting, not mentions any lotus pos. I agree the ideal form to be half lotus for Fpck, and Sifu Terry is teaching awesome unwatered pure stuff. But I at least, tried desperately to train for that cool position for long time, and concluded I am wasting my time. All I got was pain which distracted me more than mind chatter on meditations, and pain cut back my practice time. How can you forget your body while in discomfort and pain? I am not that kind of a warrior :-)
For over 5 years I am practicing sitting cross legged leaning to a cushion on my lowerback, and experiencing pretty strong effects.
Maybe, ability to sit in lotus comes after leg channels fully open up I don't know, but I improved a lot with the meds in that position.
You might try the help and techniques of Hata Yogins for lotus sitting, their techniques are good, but it did not work on me. You may be luckier and flexible than me.
Happy practicing
  • zen-bear said thanks for this

#4037 Frederic

Frederic

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Qigong (Main practice = Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Qigong),
    Taiji (Zheng Manqing 37),
    Reiki,
    Meditation

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:58 PM

Hi, been a while since i was on this thread i see i have allot to read up on.
Has anyone got any adive on improving flexibility for lotus postion, mine i so much better than when i started but still meditation 2 and especially 3 of dvd 7 gives me a dead left leg and sometimes pain at the top of my right.
Frustrating because the energy feels so good by the time i have done so many repetitions, i must be making weird facial expressions due to the mix of pleasure and pain.

YouTube is full of tips. I like the following one. I try to do a few of those stretches before any type of cross legged sitting. I've noticed less pain in both my sitting and standing practices.

https://youtu.be/bJd9FVv6C_E
  • Aeran said thanks for this

#4038 tao stillness

tao stillness

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 492 posts
    Flying Phoenix Chi Kung.

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:51 AM

The key point is, "how can you forget your body when in pain?"
My teachers have taught that comfort in asana trumps the lotus posture.
The goal of all these spiritual methods is to go beyond the surface level of the mind to reach the stillness at times called Pure Consciousness, Samadhi, Nirvana, etc. When our mind is distracted by discomfort due to the sitting posture, the mind is at the surface level and that is not where the benefits are found. The mind has to transcend the level of thinking to reach finer and finer levels of thought to then reach the source of thought, pure consciousness, the Tao. So comfort in meditation posture is a must. I reached temporary Cosmic Consciousness when instructed in a special advanced TM course and at the time I was not even meditating in my usual cross legged position. Instead, I was just sitting in a chair with my feet on the ground.
  • ridingtheox said thanks for this

#4039 ridingtheox

ridingtheox

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:statistics, cows, grass fed beef, tai chi, opera, solar energy, peace please

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:58 AM

I am in fact a Quaker  with Universalist orientation.   I have had many 'centered' Meeting for Worship experiences over 45 years none of those experiences were in 'lotus' position.  I meditate regularly following Thich Nhat Hanh adn Pema Chodron.   I have also had deep  'openings'  in these meditations all were in seated  chairs.   On two occasions I participated in native american sweat lodge which  led to  deep  connection.  

So my experience at 76 is that the spirit is available in many spiritual disciplines and not limited by form.   

• cold, johndoe2012, zen-bear and 1 other said thanks

#4040 ridingtheox

ridingtheox

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:statistics, cows, grass fed beef, tai chi, opera, solar energy, peace please

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:05 AM

yesterday was day 97 ...  I had an especially intense evening practice.   I followed  sifu's youtube played at 0.5 speed  in mirrored form.   Followed by meditating to ' thich nhat hanh's  great bell chant.

Then I did a standard long form 28 minutes in duration.  the last 1/3  i broke into a complete body sweat,  though light in character (years ago i had some extraordinary full body nei gong experience where I was soaking wet).  At the end of the form standing breathing i had major pulsing and shaking for  several  moments  (  about 5 complete breath duration ).

I am now 10 days from completion ....  wish me luck in finishing!!

Peace to all beings

• johndoe2012, zen-bear, cihan and 1 other said thanks

#4041 cold

cold

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 234 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:18 AM

Best luck to you!

• zen-bear and ridingtheox said thanks for this

#4042 Aeran

Aeran

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 634 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:04 AM

Had a really interesting experience earlier - decided to sit down for a quick Basic Seated #3. As I was finishing up the breath sequence my hands started the usual in and out waving motion, and the usual energy movement/posture adjustment effects started up, but a few minutes into the meditation I started to get a pronounced swaying in my torso as well, swinging side to side and slightly backward/forward, so my spine was swinging in a figure 8. 

Not sure if it's the energy up in here in the mountains (does environmental energy effect the FP meditations? Either way it's amazing up here, I can see why the masters sought out mountains for their retreats & temples) or just progress with the seated meditations, but either way it was cool - and very relaxing!

Basic Seated #3 is fast becoming one of my favorite FP meditations, very easy, can knock it out in a short session or keep it going a bit longer, and it really seems to bring on those deeper states of mental relaxation.

• johndoe2012 and ridingtheox said thanks for this

#4043 ridingtheox

ridingtheox

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:22 AM

I have had similar  figure 8  swaying in seated and standing   FP postures  ...  nice  feeling  touching some inner harmonic 

#4044 Shiva33

Shiva33

Dao Bum

• Junior Bum
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:33 PM

Had a really interesting experience earlier - decided to sit down for a quick Basic Seated #3. As I was finishing up the breath sequence my hands started the usual in and out waving motion, and the usual energy movement/posture adjustment effects started up, but a few minutes into the meditation I started to get a pronounced swaying in my torso as well, swinging side to side and slightly backward/forward, so my spine was swinging in a figure 8. 

Not sure if it's the energy up in here in the mountains (does environmental energy effect the FP meditations? Either way it's amazing up here, I can see why the masters sought out mountains for their retreats & temples) or just progress with the seated meditations, but either way it was cool - and very relaxing!

Basic Seated #3 is fast becoming one of my favorite FP meditations, very easy, can knock it out in a short session or keep it going a bit longer, and it really seems to bring on those deeper states of mental relaxation.

Hi, Aeran I recently started practicing FP after a long time not practicing, but Basic seated #3 was my favorite meditation at that time because it was so nice to do and I went deeper with that meditation. I also experienced swaying in my torso, but mine was more a slow clockwise rotation, with amazing ralaxed state of mind. According to Sifu Christopher Lee Matsuo this has to do with the spinal energies (especially the sushumna energy channel), this spinal rotation is part of his Kwan Yin magnetic chi gong, to awaken the energy in the spine, leading up to the brain. I have also experienced this in the past when entering a deep marijuana induced state (sorry if this offends some people, just adding for interest's sake). I don't know if this can be applied to FP practice 100%, but this shows how powerfull a BASIC FP meditation can be! :lol:

#4045 tao stillness

tao stillness

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 492 posts
    Flying Phoenix Chi Kung.

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:37 AM

WARNING!!!

What I am going to relate about the above mention of marijuana comes from both one of the highest spiritual masters/meditation teachers in the history of this planet, and also unfortunately from my own direct personal experience from over 40 years ago when I experimented with marijuana.
When in instructed in Transcendental Meditation people are warned to never do meditation while smoking pot. The reasons were not given but I found out what can happen. Apparently, marijuana opens the protective aspect of the energy body and allows the possibility for what I will just term negative energy to invade the energy body and this can influence your thinking, feeling and behaviors for quite awhile.
This especially can happen when you smoke pot and then decide to do your meditation program. I eventually found a person skilled in removing the negative influence. The positive changes resulting from the procedure were very evident immediately.
I am not implying that Shiva 33 meditated when he smoked pot. The mention of marijuana just stirred me to post this as a warning.

Edited by tao stillness, 16 February 2017 - 10:37 AM.

#4046 zen-bear

zen-bear

Zen-Bear

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1057 posts
  • Interests:Tai Chi Chuan (Yang style, in the manner of Cheng Man-Ching) - 36 years, Liu He Ba Fa - 32 years, Flying Phoenix Qigong - 25 years , Ehrmeishan White Tiger Kung-fu - 25 years, Eight Sections of Energy Combined - 22 years, Ten Thousand Buddhas Ascending to Heaven Meditation System - 22 years, Tao Tan Pai (Taoist Elixir Method) Kung Fu 42 years, Southern Shaolin Five Animals Kung-fu - 42 years.

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:43 PM

I gave up even trying any form of lotus long ago :-) Sure it looks cool and might give you some extra confidance boost, but.
GMDW sits on a chair while teaching and demonstrating other sitting moving meds on DVDs and for some exercises advises only crossing the legs while sitting, not mentions any lotus pos. I agree the ideal form to be half lotus for Fpck, and Sifu Terry is teaching awesome unwatered pure stuff. But I at least, tried desperately to train for that cool position for long time, and concluded I am wasting my time. All I got was pain which distracted me more than mind chatter on meditations, and pain cut back my practice time. How can you forget your body while in discomfort and pain? I am not that kind of a warrior :-)
For over 5 years I am practicing sitting cross legged leaning to a cushion on my lowerback, and experiencing pretty strong effects.
Maybe, ability to sit in lotus comes after leg channels fully open up I don't know, but I improved a lot with the meds in that position.
You might try the help and techniques of Hata Yogins for lotus sitting, their techniques are good, but it did not work on me. You may be luckier and flexible than me.
Happy practicing

Hello Cihan,
I'm sorry to hear that you've had such a hard and discouraging time trying to assume the half-lotus position.  I have a couple of students who find it impossible to sit in half-lotus or even cross-legged.  So the  next best thing is to do the seated MSW meditations while sitting in a chair with the feet flat on the floor.

There is, however, a way to condition oneself to be able to do the half-lotus position.  And that  is a long and rigorous regimen of daily stretching over many months that an advanced kung fu teacher, advanced Qigong teacher, advanced yoga teacher , or advanced ballet teacher can teach you.  I have developed over the past 42 years an extensive and elaborate stretching program consisting of 30+ stretching and postural exercises that can run 90 minutes and more.  In order to be able to assume the half-lotus one has to develop flexibility in all the muscles and ligaments found in the legs, groin, hips, sacrum, lower back, and in many cases in the shoulders, chest, upper neck and the occipital region at the base-of-the-skull--so that one can come close to doing a front (Japanese) split and the  side (Amerian) split.  One one is loose enough to do respectable side split and a front split, then one should be able to sit in a half-lotus.  An extensive stretching program such as what I teach can be tough and challenging, but where there's a will there is a way...to the half-lotus.

If you are interested in getting private online tutorials in my stretching regimen, consisting of some 40 classical stretching exercises, let me know through PM.

Good Luck.

Sifu Terry

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear, 16 February 2017 - 06:45 PM.

www.taichimania.com

#4047 Shiva33

Shiva33

Dao Bum

• Junior Bum
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:25 PM

WARNING!!!

What I am going to relate about the above mention of marijuana comes from both one of the highest spiritual masters/meditation teachers in the history of this planet, and also unfortunately from my own direct personal experience from over 40 years ago when I experimented with marijuana.
When in instructed in Transcendental Meditation people are warned to never do meditation while smoking pot. The reasons were not given but I found out what can happen. Apparently, marijuana opens the protective aspect of the energy body and allows the possibility for what I will just term negative energy to invade the energy body and this can influence your thinking, feeling and behaviors for quite awhile.
This especially can happen when you smoke pot and then decide to do your meditation program. I eventually found a person skilled in removing the negative influence. The positive changes resulting from the procedure were very evident immediately.
I am not implying that Shiva 33 meditated when he smoked pot. The mention of marijuana just stirred me to post this as a warning.

Marijuana has its uses, just like all sacred plants, but I would never advise anyone to do meditation after smoking (I personally have never done this). Marijuana intencifies/amplifies everything, so you would have to be an expert "driver" on the path of meditation or do it with close supervision from a Tantric master. PLEASE DO NOT mix sacred plants with meditation, you would be walking on the razor's edge and risk mental problems or worse! Sifu Terry has stated on here that no one should mix substances like Marijuana or alchohol with FP practice.

What may help meditation in general, are the much safer Chinese tonic shen herbs or Indian satvic herbs, like Reishi (my favorite), Gotu Kola, Shizandra or Tulsi to name a few. These are good for health in general and boosts immunity and stress relief. Even with these I would advise using some caution because the added effect may be too much (depending on how much you take, when you take it and the quality of the herb).

btw: "one of the highest spiritual masters/meditation teachers in the history of this planet" Serious?

#4048 Miffymog

Miffymog

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 463 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:39 AM

Many years ago when I first found meditation I tried it on a variety of drugs such as MDMA, LSD and Marijuana. For me, all of the experiences were good.

The positive and negative aspects of this are complex. What are you're aims of meditation? Some times you are looking to alter your state of mind so that you can put reality into a better perspective. If so, then meditation on drugs can help as you are able to see the fragility of reality. But, you can then struggle to recreate these experiences when not on drugs.

If you are really trying to improve yourself, then little progress is made on an occasional trip.

On retreat, arguably, I surpassed the drug induced experiences. So I realised that natural methods are better. But are they in the end just as addictive?

Now, I don't go down that path at all.

Edited by Miffymog, 17 February 2017 - 10:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users